Tier 2 TDK - Thundurus EX, Deoyxs EX, Kyurem PLF

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by VictiniCup, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Pokemanic45

Pokemanic45 Wanna get burned, Zapped, or Frozen?

2. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

-4 rainbow energy
    +4 prism energy

Same exact purposes, prism however, does 0 damage
  3. Pokemanic45

Don't have prisms.
  4. CyrusTyler

CyrusTyler Skill Level: Average Plebian

You're stuck in the same situation as I am, in that case. If you're running Hypnobank, you might as well drop Frozen City for consistency and up your Virbank count by one.
  5. pokemonguy

pokemonguy Making Bad Last-Minute Changes Since Nats 2014

If you are gonna play this deck then get prisms.
    onlyinAMERICA likes this.
  6. Pokemanic45

Howcome people either play Prism OR Rainbow? Swapped SkarmoryEX for another LugiaEX.
  7. pokemonguy

pokemonguy Making Bad Last-Minute Changes Since Nats 2014

Because they are using stage 1s.
  8. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

No-one who is using all Basics would play Rainbow. I mean, why would they? That 10 damage could hurt.
  9. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

I've seen plenty of people forego Basic Energy all together still and just play 4 Prism/2 Rainbow, with no Lightning (or Water if you play Kyurem).
  10. shong

shong Member

In paper I think I have 4/4/4/1 Plasma/Prism/Rainbow/Blend (only own 1 Blend atm) and online 2/3 Rainbow/Blend. The 10 damage from Rainbow (I run 0 Ultra Ball in my TDK so it is harder to Raiden Knuckle it into play) matters a lot more than it seems like it would. I've spent almost all my time lately testing Yveltal/Garb with Flashfire stuff but when I get back to TDK I think the first thing I will look at is finding a better energy split involving a couple basic Water. I've had a ton of games where one of my Rainbow/Blends being a basic Water would have been great whereas the times I've had a Blend and really needed it to be a Rainbow for Helix Force have been few and far between.
  11. CyrusTyler

So here's an idea I've been mulling over. -3 Pokemon Catcher, +1 Genesect-EX, +1 Lysandre, and +1 Cassius. In the terrible event that you've placed 2-3 Plasma Energy on Genesect-EX, you can Cassius it back into the deck, along with the Plasma Energy you've been using. Thoughts?
  12. shong

shong Member

If you have placed 3 Plasma Energy on Genesect then you have either already won the game or are in such bad shape that you have no realistic hope of winning the game, so Cassius serves no real function. I think if we're hoping for a miracle then it's better off to just leave the deck as is and try to find a way to use some Switch cards and retreat Genesect with a Plasma and then use Shadow Triad to get it back.

I do think that just dropping Genesect and finding a way to fit 2 Lysandre may be worthwhile. Genesect is definitely nice but having to use your attachment for the turn and a bench space on it (TDK's ideal set up is 2 Kyurem, 1 Thundurus, 3 Deoxys imo) can often be pretty undesirable.
  13. CyrusTyler

I'd rather have one Kyurem on field, one in hand, 3-4 Deoxys and a Thundurus on the Bench with the option of Genesect-EX. The reason I propose such an odd strategy is that it served an essential function when I was playing against a Fairybox deck last night. Every time Aromatisse was set up, I knew that it would make my day excruciating. So I relied on Red Signal over inconsistent Catcher and obliterated it every turn it came out.

With Trevenant becoming more common, I've been using Red Signal and considering Lysandre more and more. Against Garbodor, which shuts off Signal, I could in theory have the Lysandre in my deck as well as Startling Megaphone. In that case, Pal Pad might be a card that could help out if you honestly needed more than one Lysandre.
  14. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

Where is Trevenant becoming more common? Because in mid-Florida no one at all plays it. Maybe they play it elsewhere in Florida, but not central Florida.
  15. CyrusTyler

Probably not a truly common card, regarding Trevenant. I've got this feeling that Lysandre is better than Catcher, even though it is a Supporter. It gets around Trevenant, and there's always going to be that one kid who plays it. Red Signal can be locked. The Ability that shuts off Supporters can be avoided by Red Signal.

You know I just need to get to a League Challenge and play with my build and judge it from there.
  16. CyrusTyler

Alright, regarding the Quad Kyurem streamline build. Is it worth teching in Keldeo-EX and Float Stones to reset so we can Blizzard Burn every turn? I can see Bench space being an issue, but if only 3 Deoxys-EX are benched, we can still fit Thundurus on the bench and a second Kyurem to recharge upon knockout.

-Active Kyurem gets KO'd, 3 Deoxys and Keldeo on the bench
    -Keldeo goes up, 2 open Bench spots
    -Bench Thundurus and Kyurem, assuming you can get both out
    -Retreat to Thundurus
    -Raiden Knuckle onto Kyurem

Next turn we can charge Kyurem further and, in theory, Blizzard Burn again with the gap of only one turn.
  17. Pokemanic45

yeah, It is worth it to put in KeldeoEX. Here is my updated list that has been tested:

Pokemon-13

2 ThundurusEX

2 Kyurem

3 DeoxysEX

1 Absol

1 Snorlax

2 LugiaEX

2 KeldoeEX

Energy-12

4 Rainbow/Prism(SAME EFFECT)

4 Plasma

3 blend LWMF

1 Double Colorless

Supporters-15

4 Professor Juniper

4 Shauna

3 N

2 Colress

2 Lysandre

Items-18

4 Team Plasma Ball

4 Hypnotoxic Laser

3 Colress Machine

3 Float Stone

2 Muscle Band

1 Ultra Ball

1 Computer Search

Stadiums-2

2 Virbank City Gym

Hope my list is good!!
  18. CyrusTyler

Here's my list as of today.

Pokemon - 12
    4 Deoxys-EX
    4 Kyurem PLF
    2 Thundurus-EX
    2 Keldeo-EX

Trainers/Items/Stadiums - 36
    4 Juniper
    3 Shauna
    2 Colress
    2 Shadow Triad
    2 Skyla
    1 Lysandre
    1 Pokemon Fan Club (worth exchanging for a Shauna, probably)

4 Team Plasma Ball
    4 Colress Machine
    3 Silver Bangle
    2 Float Stone
    2 Switch
    2 Startling Megaphone
    1 Ultra Ball
    1 ACE Spec Scramble Switch

2 Frozen City

Energy - 12
    4 Prism
    4 Plasma
    4 Blend WLFM
  19. Wrags23

Wrags23 Feeling... rogue.

Do you really need Pokemon Fan Club, 4 Team Plasma Ball, and Ultra Ball? You will draw into Pokemon, and since they are all Basics I don't think that you can really justify the high Ball counts. Also, 4 Colress Machine is excessive because you will draw into those, too. Both the extra Balls and the extra Colress Machines just become dead weight later in the game. Also, I'm assuming that you don't have any N, because that really is a necessity. Really some of the only good hand disruption in the game.
  20. CyrusTyler

Shauna and N are interchangable to me, though I am fully aware of the difference between the two. Perhaps in a Lugia build Shauna would be preferred over N, but in this one N is better than Shauna.

I want to keep Ultra Ball in the event that I can't draw into Keldeo. So far, drawing into Keldeo hasn't been a huge issue. I'm considering changing Fan Club for a second Lysandre, Bicycle, or Random Receiver.