Tier 2 TDK - Thundurus EX, Deoyxs EX, Kyurem PLF

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by VictiniCup, Aug 14, 2013.

1. N3rd4Christ

N3rd4Christ Active Member

I have to agree 4 Colress is overkill. It then becomes a dead card. I run Skylar so if I need that clutch Colress it's there.
  2. Kirbyswag

Kirbyswag Pie

Four colress is amazing in the lugia version. 4 is definitely not overkill in any version because you want to start with one.
  3. blargh257

blargh257 Is now Dedede.

Yes, I run 4 Colress Machine in all of my Plasma builds, mostly for consistent speed. I don't feel comfortable with 3.
    Kirbyswag likes this.
  4. jeffrey3421

jeffrey3421 Swarm Wannabe

I play 4 Machine's in my Lugia Build with DCE, but I feel that's the only version where 4 is fitting. It can easily become a useless card lategame.
  5. Kirbyswag

Kirbyswag Pie

Lugia is just so good if you start with thundurus active because there is a pretty good chance you can get it powered up by T2.
  6. yoyos

yoyos delicious hot potatos

When I originally tested TDK, I used to attaché plasma from my hand, but since I started playing the deck much more competitively I have never had the need or reason to attaché plasma outside of trainer locked. But this is ultimately what I'm looking at, why attaché 1 energy when you have the option to attaché 2. If I run into a problem of having to many colress machine in hand mid to late game I always juniper, I always like to keep as many juniper mid to late game to take out parts of the engine that won't be as useful for the win.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  7. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

People don't play 4 Machine because they expect to attach all their Plasma Energy with it every game.

They play 4 to maximize the chances of getting it in hand.
    StrongRhino, Kirbyswag, yoyos and 2 others like this.
  8. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Exactly. :D

Any extra Colress Machines can just be Juniper or Ultra Ball fodder mid-late game anyways. Although there isn't anything wrong with running 3 either as the extra card might be worth the slight drop in consistency; it depends on your play style/preference I guess...
  9. baby_mario

Sometimes you just have to reluctantly cut a card to 3 in order to fit everything in. It's like Blastoise decks running 3 Catcher - would they like to have 4? You bet your arse they would, but because Blastoise is a deck that can OHKO any target, a judgement call is made that it is a card that can be cut.
  10. jeffrey3421

I cut the 4th Machine for a copy of Enhanced hammer to give a favorable mirror.
    yoyos likes this.
  11. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

baby_mario True true, I didn't think about that. :p

Although TDK does seem to have a little more open space than other decks so not as many judgement calls are needed when making a list (obviously this isn't the case with other decks like Blastoise or Garbodor...)
  12. baby_mario

You should never think like that as it leads to lazy choices and sloppy deckbuilding.

Whatever the deck is, every card choice is crucial. There's never room for anything less than optimal.
    Ziggmiceter and yoyos like this.
  13. Ziggmiceter

Ziggmiceter Ultimate 6P tournament procrastinator

If you think that, you clearly haven't seen some of the lists people played with for Worlds. This deck is comparative to LuxChomp with card and tech choices, even though it has a lot less card choices (LuxChomp had the LUXury of every SP being a basic, so there were much more techable ones) it functions similarly.
  14. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Yup I'm not going to disagree, I was just saying that TDK can fit 4 Colress Machine easier than something like Blastoise can fit 4 catcher. Weather or not you choose to run 4 Colress Machine is another story completely though and will be influenced by many factors. I wasn't advocating the usage of it or any other card simply because you had the space. If it came out that way though I'll apologize, I really shouldn't post when I'm tired. xD
  15. jeffrey3421

This is my current list:

Pkmn:11
    4x Deoxys EX
    3x Kyurem
    2x Absol
    2x Thundurus EX

T/S/S:36
    4x Professor Juniper
    4x N
    2x Colress
    1x Skyla
    4x Pokemon Catcher
    3x Team Plasma Ball
    3x Silver Bangle
    3x Colress Machine
    3x Switch
    2x Float Stone
    3x Bicycle
    2x Tool Scrapper
    1x Enhanced Hammer
    1x Dowsing Machine

Energy:13
    4x Blend WLMF
    4x Prism
    4x Plasma
    1x Blend GDRP

The only things that I'm really unsure about are my Colress/Bike lines(currently 2/3) and my Switch/Float Stone lines(currently 3/2). How do you guys prefer your Colress:Bike and Switch:Float Stone ratios? I think the 3/2 Switch/Float Stone is pretty standard, but I'm split between running 3 Colress 2 Bikes. The 1-of Skyla has been really helpful for grabbing a specific card and still getting decent draw through bikes.[DOUBLEPOST=1376979275][/DOUBLEPOST]Might even go 4-1 Switch/Float Stone with the increased presence/importance of Tool Scrapper.
  16. indercarnive

indercarnive Well-Known Member

3/2 float stone. thier pretty similar now that tool scrapper gets more play and laser gets less play,
  17. jeffrey3421

So because Tool Scrapper gets more play, I should play more Float Stone? That seems counter-intuitive to me. It seems as if you should play more switch so that enemy tool scrappers are rendered less effective. But then again, Switch is a one time use, and even if Float Stone is scrappered during your opponent's next turn it still had an equal amount of usefulness as Switch. But Switch can help stream Blizzard Burns too. I'm still unsure of which line to play, but I think that 3/2 in Float Stone/Switch looks like a better play.
  18. MP7373

MP7373 Member

BEST PLASMA LIST EVER!

Pokemon(11):

-3 Deoxys EX
    -2 Thundurus EX
    -3 Kyurem (Plasma Freeze)
    -1 Absol
    -1 Lugia EX
    -1 Keldeo EX

Supporters(14):
    -4 Professor Juniper
    -4 N
    -3 Colress
    -3 Skyla

Stadiums(0):

Items(22):
    -1 Computer Search
    -2 Ultra Ball
    -2 Team Plasma Ball
    -3 Colress Machine
    -4 Pokemon Catcher
    -2 Switch
    -3 Float Stone
    -3 Silver Bangle
    -2 Tool Scrapper

Energy(13):
    -4 Plasma Energy
    -4 Prism Energy
    -4 Blend Energy WLFM
    -1 Double Colorless Energy

Another option for this list would be to drop:
    -1 Lugia EX
    -1 Keldeo EX
    -1 Double Colorless Energy
    -3 Float Stone

and instead play:
    +1 Deoxys EX
    +1 Absol or Thundurus EX
    +1 Blend Energy GRPD
    +2 Switch
    +1 Colress Machine

for a more simple consistent list but I like having Keldeo EX/Float Stone (even with lots of Tool Scrapper being played) and having Lugia EX to take 2 prizes off of non EXs like Kyurem as it can put your opponents in tough situations and allows for incredible comebacks by taking 3 prizes off of EXs.

You could also consider -1 Skyla and -1 Colress for +2 Bicycle but I find this deck doesn't really need to burn through itself with Bicycle or benefit from the card as much as decks like Darkrai and the heavier supporter line seems more reliable as of now. A 1 card tech like Enhanced Hammer or Max Potion can also be pretty useful in this list but I find these one card techs far less useful in an aggressive style deck like Plasma. Darkrai is able to benefit far more from 1 card techs because it can utilize Sableye to reuse those items and basically stall and lock your opponent out and Plasma is unable to utilize this kind of strategy. Plasma should be built to take 6 prizes as fast as possible rather than to slow down your opponent as that is what it does best in my opinion.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  19. yoyos

yoyos delicious hot potatos

Maybe it's me, but I'm not really digging the 2 tool scrapper, maybe it's my area in playing a lot of darkrai/garbo (so I play 3), but dowsing machine seems like a really good card to play.
  20. On514uGht

On514uGht Active Member

So I've been playing with this deck for a while and I recently tried it without any Thundurus EX or Absol. Why? Because it allows you to set up an extra Kyurem on the bench while also attacking with an active Kyurem. This may not sound very important, but the threat of a second Kyurem on the bench is HUGE! It allows you to continue taking knockouts instead of taking an extra turn to reset with Thundurus EX. The deck easily sets up OHKOs on anything in the format as early as turn two and is very consistent. Heres the list I'm using at the moment if anyone wants to try it out:

Pokemon: 10

4x Kyurem PLF
    4x Deoxys EX
    2x Keldeo EX

Supporters/Trainers - 37

4x Professor Juniper
    4x N
    3x Colress
    2x Skyla

4x Colress Machine
    4x Pokemon Catcher
    3x Ultra Ball
    2x Plasma Ball
    2x Tool Scrapper
    2x Switch
    1x Computer Search

3x Silver Bangle
    3x Float Stone

Energy - 13

5x Water Energy
    4x Prism Energy
    4x Plasma Energy

Your ideal setup is 3 Deoxys EX, 2 Kyurem, and a Keldeo EX. Let me know what you guys think! And as always suggestions are appreciated!
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013