Tier 2 TDK - Thundurus EX, Deoyxs EX, Kyurem PLF

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by VictiniCup, Aug 14, 2013.

1. OPsyduck

OPsyduck New Member

I like it. The only thing i'd switch is +1 Skyla and -1 Colress. I prefer having an extra Skyla for the clutch item instead of 3 Colress. But that's only preference.
  2. TylerLindsey

TylerLindsey Road to DC.

Not running Absol puts you at a slight disadvantage in the mirror match, with Absol requiring two Energies to (usually) one-shot a Kyurem, while Kyurem requires three to return the blow. This may seem negligible, but in a matchup based on attrition, it is definitely something to be aware of.

The list looks very streamlined and consistent, though, and I'm sure with tight play, the aforementioned hurdle could be overcome.
  3. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

I know that this might be a bit early to ask, but with the new tournament structure changes (best 2 of 3 Swiss and Top cut not being larger than 8) would TDK be an ideal choice for this new top cut like format or not?
  4. TylerLindsey

TylerLindsey Road to DC.

Tiers and deck strengths aside, with a best-of-three swiss format, there are definitely merits to playing a strategy you know well; games can go pretty long, and you run a serious risk of going into time regularly if you have to spend more time on your plays due to a lack of comfort playing the deck. That may be obvious to some, but I felt it'd be good to throw that out there anyways.

On topic, I don't think best-of-three changes much other than what I just mentioned. It definitely doesn't change how well-positioned TDK is; it is still public enemy number one that everyone will be gunning for, but it is also consistent and inherently powerful.
  5. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

Everyone has to play their deck in a timely fashion. Being unfamiliar with it is no excuse for taking longer over turns and won't save you from slow play penalties.
    TylerLindsey likes this.
  6. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Right, I just wanted to know if it was a deck like CMT which did really well in best-of-three or not. It's good to know that TDK wont be affected by this too much, it's the only deck I can play for Regs besides Trubbish or (ew)Darkrai. :p
  7. baby_mario

They key thing here is the return of ties.

That makes things very different from the b-o-3 we have been used to.
  8. Ziggmiceter

Ziggmiceter Ultimate 6P tournament procrastinator

From what I understand, ties happen after T3 of time? That will be very interesting for Plasma, and helps decks that aren't as fast as it in Swiss.
  9. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Forgive me for being a novice, but how exactly do ties work? (I started playing at the end of the MD-on format right before the rule changes so I don't know how they would affect the game outside of making the top cut more confusing)
  10. baby_mario

If the match goes to time (they may or may not keep the +3 turns) . . .

Player A won first match, second match unfinished = Player A wins.
    Player A and B won a match each, 3rd game unfinished = tie
    Player A and B still playing the first match = tie
    Player A and B in the last round of Swiss, both knowing that a tie is enough to top cut = tie
    Googleplex likes this.
  11. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Oh okay, thanks that clears things up pretty well! Is sudden death still around for top cut or do they have some other way to work it out?
  12. ThePirateKingAtomsk

ThePirateKingAtomsk Red Haze Stalker

hehehehe
  13. baby_mario

When we had ties before, all the players on the top tables would just shake hands and stand up the moment the last swiss round started.

Some people get very angry about Intentional Draws screwing people out of cut, but I say that you should concentrate on winning your matches and making it irrelevant, not whining because you didn't scrape into cut on the back of someone else's result.
  14. pokemonguy

pokemonguy Making Bad Last-Minute Changes Since Nats 2014

So the lesson is go X-0 or X-1 or don't whine.
  15. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Well with the whole second day thing you don't really need to go X-1 off the bat, you just have to make say top 100 or 50 (example tournament is regs) then you go on to the next day and play a normal tournament with Top 8 and everything. That's the impression I got anyways. So day one you have to go X-2 or X-3 minimum like you normally would have to in regs, and the second day is a normal tournament (with maybe a small-ish top cut.)

Either way fast decks should have an advantage. Yay for TDK! :D
  16. baby_mario

I don't see them cutting to a top 100 for 2nd day of Regs. They'll more likely stick with a top 32 max like they did last year. Play 4-5 rounds then take the top 8.
  17. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

100 was an over exaggeration, they probably wouldn't go over 64 unless it was nationals. :p

Two day States would kind of stink though...
  18. Blueye95

Blueye95 TCG is all i need

I have decided to post my list. I think it looks great so far but i think there are some points to improve on (like the supporter line and the trainer line).

Pokemon - 10

4 Deoxys EX
    3 Kyurem PLF
    2 Thundurus EX
    1 Absol PLF

Trainers - 37

4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    3 Colress
    2 Skyla

4 Pokemon Catcher
    3 Silver Bangle
    3 Colress Machine
    3 Switch
    2 Float Stone
    2 Ultra Ball
    2 Tool Scrapper
    1 Plasma Ball
    1 Computer Search

2 Frozen City

Energy - 13

4 Prism
    4 Plasma
    3 Blend WLFM
    1 Water
    1 Lightning

With this you have one extra bench spot to power up secondary attackers while having thundurus EX (preferably with float stone) to help set up if needed (or to take an easy catcher ko). And you have the lightning energy to get energy in play with thundurus without it being discarded by enhanced hammers or cobalion ex.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  19. jordanlow

jordanlow Member

Im a big fan of lugia. Is 2-3 lugia overkill? Maybe instead of thundurus cos it gets 100 T1 by sawk. Is it a good idea?
  20. baby_mario

Lugia isn't really an alternative to Thundurus. A Lugia-heavy deck is a different thing from a standard TDK build.

Don't run 2-3 in a TDK, if you want to play that many then build around it.