Tier 2 TDK - Thundurus EX, Deoyxs EX, Kyurem PLF

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by VictiniCup, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Ziggmiceter

Ziggmiceter Ultimate 6P tournament procrastinator

The problem with building around Lugia is that PlusPower rotated. I really like it, but without PP heavy Lugia builds don't work as well.
    jeffrey3421 likes this.
  2. TylerLindsey

TylerLindsey Road to DC.

While I can't argue its validity in comparison to TDK, the successful Lugia builds I've seen generally open Thundurus and lead Raiden Knuckle, accelerating Lugia and (with a Deoxys EX or two on the bench) putting the defending Pokemon within range of getting KO'd by Plasma Gale the following turn. The decks that specialize in this are surprisingly consistent in doing so. I suppose the same thing could be done in a more Kyurem-focused build, but I definitely think Lugia serves better in a deck built around him more than a 1-2 of in TDK.
  3. mattynate

mattynate That's not rasslin'!!

What's everyone's thoughts on running a single landorus in their plasma build? Gets through zebstrika(or dragonite)/garbodor and has the same attack as kyurem (without the addition to deoxys attack.
    Right now I can't decide, I think I need a non plasma attacker for my deck in what used to be called battle roads and cities
  4. Ziggmiceter

Ziggmiceter Ultimate 6P tournament procrastinator

There still will be Cities.
  5. mattynate

mattynate That's not rasslin'!!

I know, but battle roads has changed the name
  6. TylerLindsey

TylerLindsey Road to DC.

As long as you can find the space, I like the idea of a single Landorus EX in the deck, just to counter Zebstrika. I think the amount of Zebstrika played will settle down as the format matures, but with TDK being public enemy number one coming out of the gate, I definitely feel like you can expect a fair amount of trainer-lock at first.

Dragonite, in my experience, is actually much more realistic for TDK to beat, despite the higher damage output. The reason (aside from the obvious fact that a Stage 2 deck is inherently less consistent than a Stage 1 deck) is it is far easier to KO 50HP Dratini than it is to KO 70HP Blitzle (especially with the switch to Bangle).

Landorus by himself is a little less effective vs Dragonite for reasons I need not explain, but you should have no problem vs Zebstrika Hammerhead'ing until all of their Zebstrika are gone.
  7. ScoutLar

ScoutLar New Member

The list Im currently running in my plasma deck is:

Pokemon-12

Deoxys x4
    Absol x2
    Kyurem x3
    Thundurus x2
    Kellldeo x1

Supporters-11

Prof. Juniper x4
    N x4
    Colress x3

Items-23

Silver Bangle x3
    Ultra Ball x2
    Float Stone x3
    Catcher x4
    Bike x3
    Switch x2
    Tool scrapper x2
    Team Plasma Ball x1
    Colress Machine x3

Ace Spec - Computer Search

I tried running a Dowsing Machine and a Lugia 4 switches a Landorus and a few others, but so far Im liking my new change up better[DOUBLEPOST=1377497804][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I also forgot to mention that for energy I am running

4 Plasma
    4 Prism
    1 Leaf, Fire, Psy. Dark blend
    4 WLFM Blend
  8. Blueye95

Blueye95 TCG is all i need

That is a solid reasoning. I have 1 spot left in the right at the moment and i can't decicde on what to pu in it. The Landorus EX will be another option over an Energy Search, a fourth colres machine or a bicycle.

Are there any cheap attackers which can beat a Dragonite? There is Shredquaza, but that gets OHKO'd by Deafen. Other than that, there are no dragon attackers which can beat it for a low anoumt of energy (Black kyurem EX with slash could do, but it will cost three attachments since we dont run DCE).
  9. TylerLindsey

TylerLindsey Road to DC.

It is pretty awkward trying to find an effective tech to hit a Dragon-type for weakness, seeing as any Pokemon that can do so (being a Dragon-type themselves) is going to be hit for weakness right back. Rather than tech specifically for Dragonite, I think the best thing to do is to prey on their less-consistent early game and low-HP basics (which are the main reasons I feel like Dragonite will see less play than Zebstrika).

Incidentally, preying on low-HP basics is something Landorus EX does very well, even if he doesn't hit for weakness. If the opponent is going second, it is not unrealistic for you to KO two Dratini via twin Hammerheads before they even have a chance to Rare Candy.
  10. Blueye95

Blueye95 TCG is all i need

That would be the way to go. Basically you turn the matchup into: if they can get Deafen+Silver Mirror off, i'm finished. I will need to see how the metagame goes in BR/Regs and Cities to decicde of the Landorus EX is worth fitting. The only other help it provides matchup wise is vs Darkrai and they are hindered by not having Energy Switch.
    TylerLindsey likes this.
  11. TylerLindsey

TylerLindsey Road to DC.

Agreed. If the trainer-lock decks prove themselves to be something TDK needs to address, I see nothing wrong with fitting in a lone tech-attacker that singlehandedly swings the matchup. I don't think that one slot will hurt your consistency that much; it can always just be Ultra Ball/Professor Juniper fodder.
  12. infernaperocks

infernaperocks A Proud Member Of Team Rouge!

unfortunately zebra is probably 5% of the metagame at most and landourus is a liability in the mirror as well as blastoice.
  13. TylerLindsey

TylerLindsey Road to DC.

This is also true. There is definitely a decision to be made. I personally can't stand having matchups that far in the red (even if they are a small fraction of the format) so I'll be inclined to include him, but the fear of starting with him in the mirror is a very legitimate concern.
  14. infernaperocks

honestly then it depends on your own meta.
  15. JR_nathan

JR_nathan Mr.3 Rings Himself

Lolseniors don't count.
    yoyos likes this.
  16. infernaperocks

huh what do you mean by that?
  17. yoyos

yoyos delicious hot potatos

Hah, you're a comedian.
  18. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

And I'm a mod, so let's cut out the spam please.
    mattynate likes this.
  19. JR_nathan

JR_nathan Mr.3 Rings Himself

When I realized people were being serious about teching against Zebrstrika in TDK due to its ability to item lock, I decided to throw in a little humor of my own.

Honestly, I'm starting to less and less in every deck. It's not because I'm this magical know-it-all wizard or anything of the sort, but that I'm simply getting bored of reviewing the same decks over and over again.

I just want BRs League Challenges to start already.
  20. Wrags23

Wrags23 Feeling... rogue.

So I have been having some problems figuring out who to use as a fourth Pokemon in this deck... I have been using Absol PLF, but it has been under-performing. Keldeo EX seems like a good option because it resets Kyurem's Blizzard Burn, so I might try that. I have tested with Lugia, but don't really like it. Otherwise, my last options are Snorlax PLS and Tornadus EX PLF. Please give me some feedback.