Tier 2 TDK - Thundurus EX, Deoyxs EX, Kyurem PLF

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by VictiniCup, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

Oh, well I've been talking about post PLB. Are you saying that Stone is still good with switch too in this deck? I'm going to test it out I'll come back with what I think some time in the near future.
  2. yoyos

yoyos delicious hot potatos

True that, but I've been testing DK's engine in TDK (it's pretty much exp. share), even having that exp.share and an extra tool scrapper so you can have the setup and then play bangle is pretty beastly, even if you still have the exp. share on and frost spear'd the turn before that's still 30 + 150 (2 deoxys). Magical numbers.
  3. Blueye95

Blueye95 TCG is all i need

what do you mean? run a 3/2/1 bangle/stone/share line with a third scrapper? i dont tihnk i'll run that, scine i only run 2 basic energy (one water and one lightning)
  4. yoyos

No, that would be redundant, then again I run 6 basic energy.
  5. Blueye95

ok so i think, with darkrai/sableye/garbodor being so popular and looking at matchups, that either running laserbank or silver bangle isn't going to work. I think you need to run both to have the best matchups. But then again, where are you going to fit it in?

The thing is that without lasers, it becomes really hard for TDK to ko low hp basics. Not being able to do so will hinder some of your matchups with darkrai/garbodor in particular. There deoxys's power connect is disabled, but you still need to take down their Sableye's before they junk hunt you out of the game.

It looks like Lasers require more deck space, but this is not entirely correct. The combo requires you to play at least 2 staduims, but the bangle versions play 1/2frozen city essentially where the virbanks were. It needs four lasers, but them again, most bangle list run three Silver Bangle, essentially only running one card less.

Finally there is tool scrapper. Scrapper a bangle away and your extra damage is lost. This couldn't happen with Lasers until recently (virizion ex).

tl:dr
    i think you need both lasers and bangles to get the best matchups across the board. Bangles to ohko exes like genesect and lasers to pressure stage two decks.
  6. Drench

Drench Active Member

Darkrai/Garb isn't popular. People are just always eager to build the most recent winner. Then they'll move onto another deck in a week or so.

Frozen City is the top idea. And Kyurem easily T1 Spear and T2s Blizzards easy enough to handle low basics early on. Lasers can be nice, but until further testing, TDK is more worried about high damage on EXs rather than little basics. That was never their issue before.. It was high damage later in the game.
    SamSoldier likes this.
  7. Ziggmiceter

Ziggmiceter Ultimate 6P tournament procrastinator

Good one. Top 4 at Worlds, Top 8 at Worlds, Jason won through Grinder with it, 3 in Top 8 of the KO, 1 winning. But it won't be relevant in the meta for Regionals for literally no reason.
    blazechomp1 likes this.
  8. Datwombat

Datwombat Wannabe Failure

Drench I think Blueye95 is correct in Laser+Bangle is the best way to go, and one of the reasons TDK did well last season was because of LaserBank being able to wreck small HP Basics. Believe me i experienced this first hand many times. In the Top 16 of the Grinder this past year in fact. Game 3 i was donked despite the fact he opened Audino. Purely because of how ridiculously Over Powered Laser/Bank is. It is simply too good to not run.
  9. OPsyduck

OPsyduck New Member

I agree with you that you really can't pass up Laser in so many matchups. Only Laser can save you from the all mighty Sableye. After many testing, i found that 3-(4 if you have space but i think 3 is enough) Lasers and 1 Bangle is a really good. Also a plus for Laser is when you face another Plasma deck. Frozen city is a total waste in this match ups and i can't tell how many times a clutch sleep saved me. So right now i think you have 2 options; you either go only Laser or Laser+Bangle. If you only do Bangle because of VirGen, i think it's gonna hurts you in the long run more than anything.
  10. yoyos

If that we're true then half of my league wouldn't be playing that deck, for 3-4 weeks straight.

I agree with the bangle/htl split, I did make a list for it, a few months before worlds and a week before BR's (I had time to kill after testing so I thought I would mess around), however I found that with my current use of exp.share and tool scrapper is what I would use for the laserbank 3/2, which really sucks, because I need the scrapper, it's just more effective overall.

Funny thing about testing vir gen against darkrai, at first I ran 3/1 laserbank, they pretty much helped me ko they're sableye.
  11. Blueye95

just one bangle is enough? i dont really see that especially with tool scrapper getting popular (unless people are ignorant). currently i have a 3/2/1 laser bangle virbank spli, but im trying to fit that extra virbank in somewhere but i cant find the room.
    Its weird how pram got 4/1/2 fit in with 11 pokemon (keldeo EX unless he didnt run absol) in his list at the KO. got to be only 12 energy
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  12. RJCarrot

RJCarrot Poke Breeder Extrodinare.

I hope it is super popular. Us people who still play that bad Landorus EX card will once again rule!! Muah ha ha!!
  13. OPsyduck

OPsyduck New Member

Do you know where i can see the list please?
  14. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

You can probably work it out if you CBA to pay enough attention to the video.

15. yoyos

I should re-edit my laser bank statement by saying I was running 3 bangle, 3 laser and 1 virbank so 3/1.

4/1/2? if I could find the space I would work out 3/3/1, gotta find this list.
  16. Blueye95

I think 3/2/1 is the best. from my own list he has to cut somewhere, most likely being only 1 scrapper and 12 energy to get room for that (and 11 pokes)

And judging from the video, prams list looks like this (the main thing is less switch cards)

Pokemon - 11

4 Deoxys EX
    3 Kyurem PLF
    2 Thundurus EX
    1 Absol PLF
    1 Keldeo EX

Trainers - 37

4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    3 Colress
    2 Skyla

4 Pokemon Catcher
    4 Colress Machine
    4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    3 Float Stone
    1 Silver Bangle
    2 Tool Scrapper
    2 Ultra Ball
    1 Plasma Ball
    1 Computer Search

2 Virbank City Gym

Energy - 12

4 Prism
    4 Plasma
    2 Blend WLFM
    1 Water
    1 Lightning
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  17. MP7373

MP7373 Member

Here is my list:

Pokemon(10):
    -3 Deoxys EX
    -2 Thundurus EX
    -3 Kyurem (PLF)
    -1 Absol
    -1 Keldeo EX

Supporters(13):
    -4 Professor Juniper
    -4 N
    -2 Colress
    -3 Skyla

Items(23):
    -1 Computer Search
    -2 Ultra Ball
    -1 Team Plasma Ball
    -3 Colress Machine
    -1 Switch
    -4 Pokemon Catcher
    -4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    -3 Float Stone
    -2 Silver Bangle
    -2 Tool Scrapper

Stadiums(2):
    -2 Virbank City Gym

Energy(12):
    -4 Plasma Energy
    -4 Prism Energy
    -1 Blend Energy (W/L/F/M)
    -2 Water Energy
    -1 Lightning Energy
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  18. Wrags23

Wrags23 Feeling... rogue.

I don't really think you need 4 Lasers and 2 Bangle with Deoxys... and 4 Deoxys is definitely ideal.
  19. MP7373

MP7373 Member

I find I never need more than 3 Deoxys benched and the vast majority of the time I only need 2 benched (especially with Bangle now). When I play 4 Deoxys I find I start with it far too often and it clogs my hand so I always end up using it as discard fodder to Ultra Ball. Playing 4 Deoxys is like playing 4 Colress Machine; the card becomes dead weight late game and is discard fodder. I wouldn't play less than 4 Lasers unless VirGen and Hydreigon become much more popular than they are currently, its like people forgot how good 30 free damage is once Virizion was released. The advantage of playing Bangle's and Lasers is that you can hit for ridiculous damage with Frost Spear if you only have two energy as well as being able to consistently OHKO EXs without having to hope for as perfect combination of cards (it allows for a lot more card combinations to reach 170-180 damage). Also you want to have 4 Lasers to deal with Sableye's Junk Hunting to be able to one shot it with Thundurus with 1 Deoxys + Laser + Virbank (+ Tool Scrapper if they have Garbodor in play). Lasers are good VS Blastoise, VS Darkrai Garbodor, and VS other Plasma decks (even if they tech Virizion they will not always have the Prism energy) the top 3 decks this format and the only decks its not great against are VirGen and Hydreigon (at least of the known archetypes) which while decent will not have the presence of the other top decks.
  20. Wrags23

Wrags23 Feeling... rogue.

I never questioned your use of LaserBank and Bangle... I am just saying that Deoxys is the main part of this deck, and most lists have 4.