Tier 2 TDK - Thundurus EX, Deoyxs EX, Kyurem PLF

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by VictiniCup, Aug 14, 2013.

1. onlyinAMERICA

onlyinAMERICA ...because I'm Batman.

Yeah I see. What kind of line up would you recommend? I kinda wanna test LaserBank along with Bangle and see how I like it. I've done either one on it's own but never together.
  2. yoyos

yoyos delicious hot potatos

from testing I like 2/4/1 (bangle/laser/virbank). It's solid, sets up fast and runs smoothly, you could go 3/2 for laser/bank to ensure a faster start but that's up to you.
  3. Ketoblu

Ketoblu Member

4. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

I know this may shock some, but what is the exact strategy with this deck? I'm thinking you power up kyurem with Deoxys and use frost spear.
  5. SeaLegend

SeaLegend Active Member

Basically, you use Deoxys to power up your attacks and try to use Kyurem to OHKO EX Pokemon. Thundurus is used to accelerate energy, and Deoxys/Absol/Lugia/Landorus Promo can all be used as tech attackers as well.
    Salamencetrainer34 likes this.
  6. onlyinAMERICA

Thanks for the input! I'll test it out and see how I like it!
  7. MP7373

MP7373 Member

What laser does against Darkrai is it allows you to get much more consistent OHKOs on Sableye with Thudurus and not playing laser/virbank in Plasma is a HUGE compromise (much more of a compromise than playing 3 Deoxys, 12 energy, or 13 supporters).
  8. Wrags23

Wrags23 Feeling... rogue.

I would say that 4 Deoxys and 13 Supporters are definitely more important than LaserBank...
  9. yoyos

yoyos delicious hot potatos

This tells me that you don't test against dark/garments (darkrai/garbo), don't get me wrong, I play 4 deoxys in my list and encourage it, however laser/bangle beats the lock.
  10. Wrags23

Wrags23 Feeling... rogue.

I'm not saying it isn't important, I am saying it isn't as important. And I do test a lot against DarkGarb...
  11. Ketoblu

Ketoblu Member

Hey, I posted my Plasma a few comments up. Can I have some feedback on it please.
  12. Duce

Duce Cheeky like a farfetch'd

After comparing 11 different TDK decks (Note i didn't include lugia EX ones as they seemed to change the deck a bit more) I've essentially gone for the average for each card across them and it seems to be working out.

The averages seem to work out as:
    4 Deoxys,
    3 Kyurem,
    2 thundurus.

If you want to include it abol was mostly 1 of, keldeo was a 1 of.

Supporters was almost exactly the same (only difference was one less colress and 1 more skyla) across all the decks with:
    4 Juniper
    4 N,
    2 skylas
    3 Colress

Trainerwise:
    4 catchers,
    3 colress machine
    3 floatstone,
    3 silver bangle,
    2 tool scrappers,
    2 ultra ball,
    2 plasma ball,
    Comp search,
    2 switch.

Energy
    4 prism
    4 plasma
    4 WLFM blend

That comes out to 58 cards. so for mine I'm trying out 1 frozen city, and a 3rd scrapper at the moment. although i am going to try one silver mirror, and maybe a beach just to see how it helps.

May even throw in a 4th Kyurem or a single 1 of which could benefit from the 4 prism and 4 blend.
  13. okcd

okcd New Member

IMHO, I will replace Lugia Line with Lasers.

-2 Lugia EX
    -1 Scramble Switch
    -2 Frozen City
    -2 Double Colorless Energy

+1 Dowsing Machine
    +1 Virbank
    +3 Lasers
    +1 Lightening/Water Energy
    +1 Switch/Float Stone/Plasma Ball/Virbank/Lasers
  14. pokemonguy

pokemonguy Making Bad Last-Minute Changes Since Nats 2014

I just went to a tourney yesterday and played some Darkrai/Garb, TBH the match-up isn't that hard even if you only run 1 Skyla, most lists run a 2-2 line of garby and you're are so fast, trying to get the 70 damage to KO the trubbish by T2 is easy.
  15. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

Benching 2 Trubbish by T2 isn't difficult either.

It's the Sableye/Hammers/Lasers that kill you. (And no, Raiden Knuckle won't save you from that).
    Serperior likes this.
  16. pokemonguy

pokemonguy Making Bad Last-Minute Changes Since Nats 2014

Yeah, the hammers are a pain but with just one water energy in you list (A second or a lightning is even better.) gives you a bit more possible in mission impossible.
  17. onlyinAMERICA

Not necessarily since I have already stated that I don't have too much difficulty against DarkGarb as it is. If I do eventually find it to become more of a problem then I would definitely take the time to find room for LaserBank
  18. MP7373

MP7373 Member

Laser also has great utility in the mirror match because it allows you to take much easier KO's on opposing Kyurems and Silver Bangles do not help with KOing Kyurem (and KOing your opponents Kyurem is how to win the mirror). Some simple numbers to consider are: Deoxys does 120 to a 3 energy Kyurem which with 1 Laser is a KO, Absol + 2 Deoxys + 3 Pokemon on opponents bench + Laser + Virbank = 130 which KO's a fresh Kyurem, Raiden Knuckle + 2 Deoxys = 50 to power up Frost Spear next turn then Frost Spear for 50 + Laser + Virbank = 80 + 50 (from last turn) is a Frost Spear KO on Kyurem, Absol + 2 Deoxys + 4 Pokemon on opponents bench + Silver Bangle + Laser + Virbank = 170 KO on fresh EX, etc. I could go on and on about the potential you have with laser but I think the point is clear the not playing Laser is a HUGE sacrifice in damage output.
  19. onlyinAMERICA

Yes but I'm not sure I'm comfortable dropping to 13 Supporters to fit them in.
  20. MP7373

MP7373 Member

Mathematically the difference between playing 13 supporters vs 15 supporters is almost negligible. There are charts that show the odds of drawing a supporter in your opening hand that really shed light on what a good supporter count is (its basically 12-14 and anything more starts to not improve your odds very much and anything less will rapidly decrease the odds of starting with a supporter). Unfortunately I don't have a link because I forgot where I found the chart. I know that once you start playing supporter cards the odds continue to drop (which is why most decks don't play 12 supporters) but 15 supporters is kind of excessive unless you have room. Cutting an entire mechanic of a decks damage output to slightly increase consistency just isn't worth it, especially if the mechanic is guaranteed damage that forces your opponent to switch or risk taking even more damage with the potential to cause your opponent to stay asleep and miss an entire turn.
    Heist likes this.