Theorymon for Draginite EX (Rising Fist)

Discussion in 'Deck Help & Development' started by Brochacho01, Jun 12, 2014.

?

Do you think this deck has a possible chance of doing well next year?

1. Yes

26.9%
  2. No

30.8%
  3. Maybe

42.3%
  1. Brochacho01

Brochacho01 Not even caring

So, I was looking on poke beach and saw the card scans for dragonite ex, and thought, "this looks pretty interesting. So, I decided to make a list. (Translations for all the cards from the new set will be at the bottom of this post.)

Pokemon: 9

4 Dragonite EX
    3 Virizion EX
    1 Mr. Mime
    1 Jirachi EX

Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 38

4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    2 Colress
    2 Shauna
    3 Cassius
    2 Lysandre

4 Ultra Ball
    2 Switch
    1 Escape Rope
    3 Muscle Band
    3 Startling Megaphone
    4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    1 Professor's Letter

2 Virbank City Gym
    1 Scoop Up Cyclone - Ace Spec

Energy: 13

9 Grass Energy
    4 Lightning Energy

So, The main strategy of the deck is to get the T2 emerald slash from your Virizion EX onto something on your bench. Then, what you do on the next turn is drop a Dragonite EX and use your ability to switch some of your energies onto it, attach a lightning energy and attack. You can attach a muscle band to said Dragonite or use the laser/bank combo to make it so that you don't have to discard an energy attached to Dragonite to 2-shot things. But, if you have both laser/bank and a muscle band attached, you can OHKO 170 hp EX's. Then here comes the second part of the strategy. You now have virizian on the bench so that your opponent can't hurt you with a laser. So, now what you do since you run Scoop-Up-Cyclone and Cassius is just once your active Dragonite gets damaged, bench another one, use your ability try to either pick up the damaged Dragonite, or shuffle it into your deck and attack with the new Dragonite. Also, you have Lysandre to pick up KO's on benched pokemon. Also, I am looking for possible other partner pokemon for Dragonite for other ones in this list, but I can't think of many right now. Also, this is just a theorymon, so I don't know how well the match ups will go for tho deck because I can't test it right now.

(Tranlations)

Dragonite EX (Dragon Type) 180 HP

Ability: Ability: Barge In
    When you play this Pokemon to your Bench, you may select any number of basic Energy cards attached to your Pokemon and attach them to this Pokemon. Then, if any Energy were attached in that way, switch this Pokemon with your Active Pokemon.

Attack: (G) (G) (L) Jet Sonic: 80+ damage. You may discard an Energy attached to this Pokemon. If you do, this attack does 40 more damage.

Weakness: Fairy x2 No Resistance Retreat Cost: (C) (C) (C)
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  2. Ein

Ein The Mega Man Master

Nothing really sticks out to me with Dragonite EX, but I think he could have some potential in the future, although at a second look his ability isn't near as good as I thought. I thought he could take ANY energy and could switch into the active even if he doesn't take energies from others. Neither are the case. He must have an energy to switch in and they must be basic. And if you decide to put energy on him, you MUST switch him in. His ability is very forceful in this aspect.

You seem to have a good base for a starting point in Dragonite testing. Get an Emerald Slash off as early as possible, then go for the T3 KO with Dragonite EX by using barge in to take the energy (should be 4-5 energies on the board at this point). Hopefully you can get a KO without discarding if your Virizion softened the target and you get your laserbands going. You can also start to kind of stream Dragonites to keep recycling energy and putting damaged Dragonites on the bench. 180 HP EX's are going to be a bit of a problem.

About your list, it looks tough to get a T2 emerald slash out consistently. Maybe run the deck a similar to VirGen with 1-2 Dragonite EX. You would still be attacking with Genny and Virizion, but you can Barge In to prevent a 2HKO, conserve energy, etc.
  3. yoyos

yoyos delicious hot potatos

Wouldn't Ho-oh be better with dragonite then virizion, virizion forces the attack by turn 3 versus ho-oh very literal prof letter, ultra ball, ultra ball, rebirth, dragonite to bench, switch or free retreat 80-150.

I agree, less dragonite and more virizion would be better for setup overall, guarantee's a t2 emerald slash.
  4. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

The biggest problem that Dragonite EX will face is Bench space. A big strength of this deck will be the fact that a Dragonite EX can tank a hit and then another can instantly be there, as if you Max Potioned your one that just got attacked. If they put something like Super Scoop Up back into the game (preferably in Rising Fist, doubtful though) it could be pretty good. Right now all we have is Scoop Up Cyclone, which is an ACE SPEC, which is obviously not preferable. If we have another "scoop up" effect somewhere someone please do tell me what it is. But as it stands this deck isn't too appealing for me.
  5. rustedspork

rustedspork Member

Dragonite is nothing more than a shinier, much-more-difficult-to-utilitize Druddigon. The way he's built, (only doing a max 120 for a difficult [GGL] attack cost) he strikes me as more of a tech "surprise" attacker for some kind of weird Grass/Lightning hybrid deck, not someone you'd build a deck around. His attack's not really good enough to warrant it. he problem is, there's not many decks currently that fit that bill for him to slide into.

Stick to Keldeo for all of your Rush In needs, and stick to Druddigon for all of your Dragon revenge kill needs.
  6. Brochacho01

@Ein I see what you mean about the T2 emerald slash. Since I have left one extra space in the deck i will put in a third Virizion EX for it. I'm also thinking of taking out 1 grass energy and putting in an escape rope for a third switching effect to allow me to get the T2 emerald slash. Thanks for the advice.

@rustedspork that is not what I intend to use dragonite for. Since it can hit harder then druddigon, it can be my main attacker. I don't need dragonite to be my revenge killer. Also, the reason why I point out dragonites ability as being good. because you want to use it as prize denial for your opponent while you keep up a stream of attackers.
  7. rustedspork

rustedspork Member

After thinking about it a little bit, I guess it could work, but only if your opponent lacks the ability to hit the 180 OHKO mark. Dragonite's going to need 2 turns to kill most things, so if you can play the attack/ability/Cassius game over and over, you can deny prizes to things that can't one-shot you.

Problem will be the ability to trade with BKEX, G Booster, and a beefy Yveltal. If they kill your Dragonite, take 3 energy out of play, and you can only hit for a max 120 as a revenge, you're going to have a bad time. Baby Xerneas will be your bane as well, with the popularity of Fairy right now.
  8. themiraclemeat

themiraclemeat Active Member

Cassius ftw!!!
  9. PokemonGeek

PokemonGeek Derp, Derp, Derpity Derp

Cassius is useful in this deck.

EDIT: 300th post btw.
  10. Brochacho01

Ya, Im thinking of maybe putting in 1-2 mewtwo ex as another attacker to help out with locuario ex in the next format. that can be helpful against other yveltalts as well, and maybe also possibly against xerneas. Another thing is is that this deck is built to be in next format, so you'll be lacking dark patch most likely, so yveltal ex won't be as much of a massive threat. I was also thinking of a hard charm or two for the exact reason on making the OHKO on dragonite ex harder.
  11. Sirpluff

Sirpluff New Member

I like to go with: Start with Suicune or Sigilyph, Discard a bunch o' Energy, Energy Grace to Suicune/Sigilyph with Milotic, Barge In, Eat some pie of success.

EDIT: Snorlax works too.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  12. DGS87

DGS87 New Member

Maybe Forretress to spread damage and counter Xerneas?
  13. Brochacho01

that actually sounds pretty cool. my one issue is with giving up prizes with mitotic. also, I would want a way of discarding energy but still benefitting the deck somehow. But the idea sounds cool.
  14. Gelato

Gelato The Swarm

Ultra Ball and Juniper/Sycamore should be enough to discard three energy by turn 2 or 3.
  15. Brochacho01

ya, just wondering if there was any better combo such as the fiery torch/blacksmith combo charizard has.
  16. Gelato

Gelato The Swarm

The only way to discard specifically grass energy that I know of besides the new Victribell. Which raises the idea...Dragonite EX/Victribell/Dragelge/Milotic/Sigilyph?

EDIT: That's actually a terrible idea in retrospect^
  17. Brochacho01

seems good in theory, but sounds SUPER clunky
  18. Shieldmaiden

Shieldmaiden Member

I think, like many cards in the past couple sets, he might shine in later rotations/with future cards. But not now.
  19. Brochacho01

ya, that makes sense. Right now I think he'll be relegated to the fun decks.
  20. Hurrmaadurr

Hurrmaadurr Is blasting off again

Shiftry milotic dragonite ex?