Topcut Announcement and Explanation

Discussion in 'Bronzong Chef' started by cabd, Feb 5, 2013.

1. cabd

cabd Taking over for Tamoo as the girly looking mod.

First off, let me apologize for my very late work on this. Life was being mean, and I let most of you down. I am honestly sorry for that.

So, because of the way we have structured prize support this year (1st, 2nd, 3rd) we're doing a slightly different take upon topcut.

We'll be starting with a top 24 cut. These will be single-elim 1v1 matches. The matches are randomly put into one of three judge's areas. 4 matches per judge. The remaining twelve players will do the same thing, 2 matches per judge. Those 6 players will face off one last time, to determine the final three. Those three players will all get the same challenge, and that will be the way we determine 1st/2nd/3rd.

Here's the initial setup:

CABD:

TTSKY:

BABY MARIO:

The winner of A will play the winner of D, and B will face C. The winners of those two matches will then face off. The winner of those matches will be in the final 3 challenge.

Challenges!

A and B matches: BLW-PLS, all basic Pokemon with more than 100 HP are banned, all ex (NOT EX, specifically ex) cards are legal, and any pre-evolutions that appeared within those sets (RSE/FRLG era) are legal as well. (To clarify, if it's a pokemon-ex and has over 100hp that's fine, just no NEW cards with more than 100)

C and D matches: Base-Fossil, Oak and Bill are supporters, and Electabuzz, Scyther, and Hitmonchan are banned. All other cards are played as written, and anything not on the cards is governed by the current rule book. (So for example, you don't have to flip to retreat when confused)

Monday the 18th of February as the due date. That gives you two weeks, and includes president's day, so extra time off for most of us. Submit via PM to your judge as usual, but feedback and explanations by the judges will be given in-thread.

RULES Q&A

1. Can I evolve Chansey ex into Blissy, etc?
    No. It would have to say "evolves from chansey ex" on the card.

2. Can I play ex pre-evolutions from the ex sets even if I'm not running that ex?
    Nope.

3. For abilities and attacks that say "return the highest stage evolution card" ...can I choose to return an unevolved basic?
    Nope.

4. Can Item Finder BS get Bill and Oak?
    Yes.

5. Is this played against the current metagame?
    Nope. Your hypothetical opponents have the same rules as you.
    Ziggmiceter and Gelatin like this.
  2. PP101

PP101 The Swarm for 3 seconds then accidentally left

Alright, thanks, Cabd! I'll get my entry in ASAP. :)

Question: are you guys playing actual matches with the decks? Or are you juust going off of scores?
  3. cabd

I wonder, I wonder? You'll find out when you see the scores, I suppose.
  4. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

Ziggy vs v balkes eh?

Epic Senior Showdown right there.
    XD001 and PokemonPlayer101 like this.
  5. cabd

No other comment. You win the thread.
    XD001, superw8 and PokemonPlayer101 like this.
  6. PP101

PP101 The Swarm for 3 seconds then accidentally left

I saw an epic senior showdown the other day.

It was Betty White vs. Morgan Freeman.
  7. botanicas

botanicas The N of the world as we know it

Kind of jealous of C/D's challenge, though I haven't actually played in the format while pokemon-ex were a thing so A/B will be interesting!
  8. baby_mario

Just as a reminder, anyone doing the A/B challenge with the old ex cards needs to specify which pre-evos they are using (and in some cases which ex - some Pokemon have more than one).
  9. Darkrye

Darkrye Person...maybe...

Life happens...no worries. Happy to be in for Top Cut!

One question about prize support though...what happened to this from the first BC topic/post?

"The competition will feature three rounds of Swiss, with a top cut following these rounds. The initial cut will be calculated by the number of 8-man pods filled, times 4. This means essentially, your goal is to be better than the average in your pod.

Top 8 will receive: 1 Month of UG OR 10 TCGO codes
    Top 4 will receive: 1 Month of UG AND 10 TCGO codes
    2nd place will receive: 1 Bronzong Chef Playmat, 1 Month of UG, and a 6p Dice bag
    The winner will receive: 1 Bronzong Chef Playmat, 3 Months of UG, and a 6p Dice bag"

Did it change somewhere?
  10. cabd

Yes. I'm in the process of updating that. The good news is that 3rd place gets more stuff. The other good news is that prize support now extends farther down the rankings.
  11. baby_mario

12. Darkrye

Darkrye Person...maybe...

Cool, thanks!
  13. armaldo1

armaldo1 In unappealing love with bleak

I'm kind of confused on the A-B pods, is it essentially none of the new EXes are legal, but the old ones are?
  14. baby_mario

• BLW-PLS format
    • No BLW-PLS Basic with more than 100 HP allowed (effectively bans all EX Pokemon plus Unova Legendaries)
    • ex Pokemon and their pre-evolutions from Ruby & Sapphire - Power Keepers are legal
    • Current rulebook applies
    • Cards which have effects specific to EX Pokemon (Sigilyph DRX, Klinklang PLS etc) DO NOT apply to Pokemon-ex
  15. armaldo1

armaldo1 In unappealing love with bleak

Thank you for clarifying.
  16. Ziggmiceter

Ziggmiceter Ultimate 6P tournament procrastinator

Hey, shaddup.
    I'll whoop him.

Also, are we supposed to play on RedShark?
    edit: wait, i feel like it was already asked but are we actually playing the games?
    Double edit: are we allowed to use pre-evos of Pokemon-ex from the RSE sets?
    I assume not, just double checking.
  17. baby_mario

Seniors these days. No manners.

What you two do in your free time is your business.

No, it's a deckbuilding contest.

. . .

Read the challenge again. It will help.
    XD001 and coolestman22 like this.
  18. Ziggmiceter

Ziggmiceter Ultimate 6P tournament procrastinator

Oh, well I'm an idiot.
    Thanks.
    Edit: legit question, can Aerodactyl ex be used with Twist Mountain?
  19. baby_mario

Twist Mountain works with Restored Pokemon.

Aerodactyl-ex isn't one of those.
  20. baby_mario

Another note for people doing the A/B Challenge:

Pokemon-ex from English sets Ruby & Sapphire through to Power Keepers are legal. This includes Black Star promos and POP Series cards.

Japanese-only Pokemon ex are NOT legal (PLAY promo Mew, Imakuni?'s Exploud, Aura's Lucario, Folklore's Lucario)