Tier 1 Virizion EX, Genesect EX

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by Serperior, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Jovis

Jovis swagmabeam

You could always play more than 1 Deoxys ;)

My point is with Deoxys you can do significant, streamlined math. Without Deoxys you have to sort of hit things for weird numbers or just G Booster 3 times. 1 isn't enough, 2 is perfect, 3 is risky, 4 is too much. This is all from lots and lots and lots of testing.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. You could, if you don't want to win.
    GreenPepper likes this.
  3. JR_nathan

JR_nathan Mr.3 Rings Himself

Wow, now that is a knee slapper.

I once made the same mistake as you, thinking that G-Booster was clearly superior to Black Ballista. It cost less energy to attack and discarded less energy too. All seemed well until I realized exactly why Black Kyurem is better than Genesect.

Black Ballista is a built in attack.

G-Booster is an Ace Spec tool.

Which means while Black Ballista may not go through abilities such as Safeguard, but at least it's not a one-of only card that is limited to one pokemon at a time while still be vulnerable to Tool Scrapper. I can change my Black Kyurem and use the same attack anytime I want, but should a G-Booster be already attached to a Genesect, then tough luck getting the most out of that single Genesect.

I can't believe what I just read, but I guess some people have to see it to believe it.

Deoxys really helps VirGen, especially when you run Colress Machine and Plasma Badge because, believe or not, that's how the deck hits magic numbers. You know, the stuff everyone's been telling you about as to why they are running Deoxys, but you keep laughing in their faces. You know, the same thing that made Darkrai a Tier 1 deck not to mention THE 2013 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP DECK.
  4. blazechomp1

blazechomp1 Active Member

Deoxy allows this deck to be able to function a lot more like Darkrai with a card that allows you to 1HKO anything. The Deoxy really help to make the math all that much better. 60 and 110 can take out several EX's, especially in the mirror, and with more deoxy you can hit for more damage. Deoxy simply makes it so that you don't have a bunch of awkward math numbers.
  5. Have you even tested Deoxys? I tried it, it was horrible. It does not help you hit any magic numbers. You just get Catcher stalled to no end if you run Deoxys. Yes, it is helpful in some situations, but they are rare. The risk of starting with it and the amount of times you can be Catcher stalled makes it not worth it.

[​IMG]
    PokemonPlayer101 likes this.
  6. Jovis

Jovis swagmabeam

I... don't get it? lol

Anyway here's my list, feel free to tear it apart or try it out:

Pkm - 10
    4 x Virizion EX PLB
    3 x Genesect EX PLB
    2 x Deoxys EX PLF
    1 x Chatot PLB

Trainers - 37
    4 x Professor Juniper
    4 x N
    4 x Colress
    3 x Skyla
    2 x Shadow Triad

4 x Colress Machine
    3 x Plasma Badge
    3 x Team Plasma Ball
    3 x Pokemon Catcher
    1 x Ultra Ball
    1 x Tool Scrapper
    1 x Super Rod
    1 x G Booster ACE SPEC

3 x Skyarrow Bridge

Energy - 13
    9 x Grass Energy
    4 x Plasma Energy
  7. blazechomp1

chatot not neccessary[DOUBLEPOST=1377745405][/DOUBLEPOST]
    can we get Baby_Mario to come explain how he really doesn't care about what has happened in your testing due to it, more than likely, not being much
  8. PP101

PP101 The Swarm for 3 seconds then accidentally left

Despite what I said, this actually is not a bad list. Chatot is not needed, but I can understand maybe a single Deoxys, just for that extra 10 damage.
  9. If no one shared their testing results, we could not get a general consensus of what is good and what is bad in a deck.
  10. blazechomp1

lol you said in your testing which implies you have testing results
  11. I meant "if", not "I'.
  12. Jovis

Jovis swagmabeam

I was looking to cut Chatot for a 2nd Tool Scrapper, but Chatot is very useful for quite a few nice things (discarding Silver Mirrors not being one of them unfortunately):

1. Gives me less chance to start Deoxys.
    2. Puts my opponent on the 7-prize game if it's KO'd, essentially giving me something I can play with no consequence
    3. Discards tools (that are not Silver Mirror).
    4. Second attack gets damage boost from Deoxys and instant confusion which can prevent attacks in certain situations.
    5. Has 1 retreat, so helps power up my Colress when Skyarrow is out without fear of catcher.

It provides quite a lot of utility with no real consequence other than deck space, but it is definitely 100% not essential to the decks success.
  13. WuBMaYNE

WuBMaYNE You Need More Minerals

There is no way I'm going to believe that some of you guys prefer a VirGen build with 3 to 4 Deoxys in it opposed to none.
    Vablakes likes this.
  14. Ziggmiceter

Ziggmiceter Ultimate 6P tournament procrastinator

How does a heavy Kyurem build or Plasma not destroy this deck without Drifblim, Hammers, or 3 Deoxys? I legitimately do not believe your testing results, Vablakes.
    JR_nathan, Alastair and blazechomp1 like this.
  15. How do you know I don't run any of the other options?
  16. Ziggmiceter

Ziggmiceter Ultimate 6P tournament procrastinator

I'm pretty sure by your posts you've said that you don't run any of those.
    ThePirateKingAtomsk likes this.
  17. I don't run Drifblim, but I do run Hammers.
  18. MetalArmedAngel

MetalArmedAngel My lovely Luka ♥♥

This is my list. It includes some weird stuff but has been working pretty well in testing.

3 Virizion EX
    3 Genesect EX
    1 Deoxys EX
    3 Drifloon (any help on which to run?)
    2 Drifblim PLB
    1 Drifblim DRX

2 Virbank City Gym

4 Juniper
    4 N
    3 Skyla
    2 Colress
    2 Shadow Triad

A G-booster
    3 Catcher
    2 Ultra ball
    3 Plasma badge
    1 E-hammer
    3 Colress Machine
    2 Tool Scrapper
    3 Hypnotoxic Laser

8 Grass
    4 Plasma

Yes you might be thinking 'WTF Deoxys AND Laser?????' However, I did some research and found out that the virizigen that won a battle carnival in Japan ran 3 laser and 2 virbank. And Laser can really help out with some math here and there.
    G-booster take 2 prizes
    retreat to Virizion, Emerald slash to fresh Genesect (assuming that G-booster gets scrappered in opp's turn)
    Megalo Cannon with Laserbank=130 Damage. Add that with the 50 done with Emerald Slash and you have a complete 2HKO on an 180hp EX.
    And I'll add to the argument above. Deoxys really turns this deck into Magic number hitting with Megalo cannon. 110+20 is a good number for stuff like Kyurem.
    Drifblim's and Hammer for the Plasma matchup. I dunno if 2PLF and 1 DRX would be better or 1PLF and 2 DRX would be better
    Overall, I just don't like relying on G-booster too much.
  19. SoldiersSpirit

SoldiersSpirit I will defend my Kingdom.

^Sorry metal, but the list you are referring to ran energy switch...

You should be running the Plasma Blast 70 hp drifloon no questions asked.
  20. Alastair

Alastair Mr. Evil Dr. Porkchop

If YOU don't attach plasma badge, where is your turn 2 Genesect?