Tier 2 Virizion EX/Mewtwo EX

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by SeaLegend, Oct 22, 2013.

1. SeaLegend

SeaLegend Active Member

This is the Competitive Deck Discussion thread for Virizion EX/Mewtwo EX. The goal of this deck is to abuse Double Colorless Energy with Mewtwo EX as well as other attackers while having Virizion around for blocking special conditions. here is a sample decklist.

3 Mewtwo EX
    3 Virizion EX
    2 Bouffalant DRX
    1 Mr. Mime PLF

4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    3 Skyla
    1 Colress
    3 Bicycle

1 Computer Search
    4 Pokemon Catcher
    4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    3 Ultra Ball
    3 Switch
    1 Float Stone
    2 Max Potion
    1 Energy Search
    1 Super Rod

2 Virbank City Gym

10 Grass
    4 Double Colorless
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  2. Doubleaintx

Doubleaintx New Member

Missing 2 Virbank
  3. Alastair

Alastair Mr. Evil Dr. Porkchop

I think the energy acceleration comes more from Virizion.
  4. bpenno

bpenno New Member

I've played around with this deck this week and tested against everything except plasma. How should one approach that matchup? I'm playing a thicker bouffalant line, but I'm not sure that helps too much as deoxys can wreck my whole board.
  5. Bdubes

Bdubes New Member

Why the energy search
  6. yoyos

yoyos delicious hot potatos

^works really well with the 4 skyla.
  7. Bdubes

Bdubes New Member

Don't you want your skylas for better trainer cards
  8. thefazn

thefazn Cool Story Brah!!!

Tell me why you think energy search is a bad card? It's only a staple one of in pretty much every deck.
  9. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

It's about flexibility. Yeah, most of the time you will Skyla for something else, but there will be times when the most helpful thing will be the ability to search for a Basic Energy . . . like when you are 20 short of an X Ball KO and Skyla is your only Supporter.
  10. SeaLegend

SeaLegend Active Member

Updated a list that is a little more standard and closer to the one I T32'd Ft. Wayne Regionals with. This deck was definitely the BDIF for DRX-PLB, it could beat anything based on consistency alone (the deck also won the tournament, and was played by the #1 seed after 14 rounds of swiss).

EDIT: NXD-PLB, lol. It's been a long weekend T_T[DOUBLEPOST=1383000853][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I was wondering, are we allowed to discuss the rule changes in this thread given that they haven't hit yet?
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  11. Arkius

Arkius New Member

Is Virizion/Mewtwo still a good play with flippy catcher?
  12. Nagasada

Nagasada New Member

yes, you dont really even need to play catcher tbh.
  13. blazechomp1

blazechomp1 Active Member

i would say no just because that means they can build up more on the bench and it makes it a lot harder to go for those knocks that you need on the bench. Sniping will be good next format, but mewtwo does not really do that
  14. SeaLegend

SeaLegend Active Member

Here are a few thoughts on the deck for next format. IMO it doesn't get much weaker, if at all. I am toying right now with the idea of playing Genesect+2-3 Plasma Energy in order to get the Red Signal. You can still come out with any attacker on turn 3 after a Red signal by Energy Switching off of the Virizion, meaning that you can come out with a 3 Energy Mewtwo or a Bouffalant. With enough consistency, you could also drop the Computer Search for a G-Booster or G-Scope but that's not something I am prepared to do yet. The Catcher change also allows you to potentially Emerald Slash to a Mewtwo for multiple turns without quite as much fear of Catcher. This is definitely the deck I will be playing at an upcoming League Challenge, and perhaps for Cities if I feel comfortable with it still.
  15. xquqx

xquqx Member

Even including the missing 2 virbanks, the list in the op is missing a card.
  16. blazechomp1

blazechomp1 Active Member

well it seems that the deck gets both drawbacks and advantages from the new changes, but I think it will depend on how well certain decks do. If hammertime appears again then i think the deck could really struggle just because they will more than likely run catcher and heavy sableyes to try and slow you down as they build up a rai.
  17. SeaLegend

SeaLegend Active Member

Fixed all the problems with the list.

@blazechomp1 , this is true of any deck without Keldeo/Float Stone. The only problem is that these Catchers will only hit half the time. While Darkrai is definitely the strongest deck with Catcher, that doesn't mean that they have 100% success rate, and if it is really a problem, one could just run more Switching cards.
  18. KLA425

KLA425 New Member

This deck is obviously a tier 1 deck. I only needed to play it once to understand that. Look at how many made it to the top tables.

Here is the list I used at the league challenge on Sunday in Ft. Wayne. I went 7-0. I decided to try it out and built it that morning. I played one game with my friend and said, yep I’m playing this and took the build I had made in 10 minutes without changing it.

3 Virizion EX

3 Mewtwo EX

1 Bouffalant DRX

1 Tropius PLB

1 Mr. Mime PLF

1 Munna BCR

4 Juniper

4 N

4 Skyla

4 Pokemon Catcher

4 Hypnotoxic laser

3 Ultra Ball

3 Switch

3 Bicycle

2 Virbank City Gym

1 Tool Scrapper

1 Float Stone

1 Super Rod

1 Energy search

1 Computer Search

10 Grass

4 DCE

I should have taken out Tropius for another Bouffalant and maybe played dowsing to get back virbank. I never used Tropius at all. The MVP though was Munna. Munna was amazing when I would roll tails on laser, and hit heads on long-distance hypnosis.
  19. RJCarrot

RJCarrot Poke Breeder Extrodinare.

I didnt get to stay for the league challenges but what division was this in? I know a ton of seniors were running this deck but I am curious how it did in Masters. There are a lot of Big Basics decks that were played in masters and it seems this matchup is fairly poor vs it. Or at least it was in any of the matchups I played vs it.
  20. KLA425

KLA425 New Member

I am a Master player. The person who got second also played it, with potion and eviolite instead of laserbank. His only loss was to me. The hardest matchup for it IMO is plasma. It sucks taking only one prize at a time lol! I really like the darkrai matchup. I 6-0'd all three I played, including the final round.