Weight lifting thread (skinny people invited!)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WolfusMandrago, Dec 9, 2013.

1. WolfusMandrago

WolfusMandrago Squatting below parallel

"Do you even lift?“

Welcome to the thread of lifting. A regular gym routine might be foreign to your average gamer, but taking an interest in your health should never be unfamiliar.

For those of you who are fitness enthusiasts, post some of your experiences here to keep yourself (and others) motivated.

From a personal standpoint, I started a 5x5 strength training program on August 1st. Here were some of my lifts after 3 months:

Squat: 215
    Deadlift: 225
    Bench Press: 140
    Row: 120
    Overhead Press: 90

All exercises were done with a barbell (no machines) and with a full range of motion. No half reps! Squats below parallel, bar touching chest on the bench, and so on. My lifts are a little higher today, though.

I'm also one of those "skinny dudes" who struggle to put on weight but over the past year I've managed to put on 15 lbs of lean mass. If you're like me, feel free to ask questions!
    Adam likes this.
  2. Bleak

Bleak Glorious beacon of light

I lift cheeseburgers into my mouth.

I imagine the bulk of 6P is guilty of the same.
  3. superw8

superw8 Did you?

I can barely do that (laziness).
  4. SoldiersSpirit

SoldiersSpirit I will defend my Kingdom.

I'm actually getting back into the swing of things...I'm relatively lean too weighing around 170 most of the time. At my best I was 180 with about 6% body fat.

Getting back in the gym and what not is annoying but I haven't left too far off, I'm 180 now but with a lot more fat, I'm looking to immediately lose 5lb's from my abdominal area. Still got cuts showing but love handles is not sexy lol.

Bench press = 180+
    Squatting = 300+

Haven't done much else as cardio is big for me at the moment before I build back my muscle mass.
    ShinyEevee likes this.
  5. I don't always visit the gym, but when I do I walk out with a badge.
    ThatCJKid, areuter, PP101 and 9 others like this.
  6. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

I've been leaning out a little lately... my metabolism was sky high for about a week from doing sprints and other high intensity activities but I haven't been eating enough food to compensate. I'm like 165 lbs and I want to be closer to 175 but I'd have to really pound down more calories which is annoying. I'm trying to eat more denser foods like ice cream and chocolate. I did whole milk with brown sugar mixed in for a while and that worked to add weight, but I got sick of it.

Stopped doing lifts though... I'm too worried I'll hurt myself. Just safe bodyweight stuff for the most part now. No "cardio" for a while since it's too cold to ride my bike.

Good numbers btw @WolfusMandrago and @SoldiersSpirit
  7. WolfusMandrago

@SoldiersSpirit
    Those are solid numbers, bud. Keep it up! You would be surprised as to how much fat you can burn by lifting the iron; most think that cardio is the only way.

@Adam
    Yep, gaining can be tough. Don't be afraid of injury though. If your form is good, you won't get hurt. That means taking the low road sometimes and using lighter weight.

As for all of you lazy folk: a healthy body is a healthy mind. Your brain needs fuel, too. The next time you make a misplay and get locked by Gothitelle/Accelgor, think about it while you pass turns.

And some muscle helps with the ladies. Booyah.
    superw8 and Vablakes like this.
  8. Eh, I'm fit in my own way. I don't lift, per se, I like to run, running is more my speed (pun intended). I also split wood, so I'm pretty fit, but lifting has never been my thing.
  9. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

I don't think it's realistic to assume you'll always have good form though. It's not worth the risk vs. reward for me.
    That's awesome, splitting wood is hard work. As long as you stay active that's all that really matters.
  10. galladeava

galladeava Disapproving Clown

Daily cardio at the gym for me. Bike, tread, cross trainer, row and maybe a little resistance to end the session. The belly needs to drop a bit before I work on muscle building.
  11. HighShroomish

HighShroomish Wreck-It Ralts

I swim about 4 miles every day, along with crossfit for an hour every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. Yesterday wasn't horrible in terms of difficulty but I can never remember the swim workout :(. For the crossfit, we did a rotation thing. One place had a plank, then jump rope, then squats w/ a 10 lbs weight, then standing overhead tricep extensions w/ an 8 lbs medicine ball, then russian twists w/ a 10 lbs medicine ball, then jump squats, then push-ups, then mountain climbers, then flutter kicks. We were at each "station" for a minute. Then we did 15 v-ups holding at the top for 3 seconds, 15 straight arm situps, then something I don't remember. We did that whole thing twice through. Then went and swam ~5800 yards.
  12. superw8

superw8 Did you?

I pace around the whole room at every Pokemon event at any moment that I am not in a game.
  13. WolfusMandrago

It's nice to see that others are active. A friend of mine and fellow Pokemon player works at a desk all day and as a result he loses arm wrestles with girls. No man wants to be in that situation.

If you're interested in trying a strength training routine you can google "Stronglifts". An alternate routine is "Starting Strength" but I think they have less free resources. The best bods in Hollywood lift heavy... but I don't want to sound like an infomercial.

Check out Hugh Jackman (Wolverine) deadlifting over 300 lbs.

[​IMG]
  14. ninjapikachu

ninjapikachu Not all that ninja-like tbh

Hey, let's not forget dragging whole piles of cards in a rucksack to Leagues, that's something "active" I'm sure we all do! :p
  15. PellOfTheTundra

PellOfTheTundra Do you even LT-87

Let's just say I have Kendo practice ~once a month, and umm... I'm 150 lb. I know at my age and height (19, 6'1") that isn't healthy, but I don't gain weight.
  16. HighShroomish

Same here. I'm 5'11 and 145(albeit I am 14)
  17. WolfusMandrago

I'm roughly the same height as you and I used to weigh under 150. Now I'm 165 and I feel much more confident about myself.

The reality is that if you want to change your body it's a lifestyle change that's needed. For someone overweight, they didn't blow up overnight - it was gradual because of their lifestyle.

You might hear of magical, revolutionary methods of body changes but the regular human has to be consistent and change over time. Knowledge and consistency is so important!

If you don't eat much, you lose sleep and you play videogames all day... Then you get the body of someone who doesn't eat much, loses sleep and plays videogames all day. Before you tell me "But I eat a lot and I never gain!" count your calories for a week and then come back. If you're like me, you're probably over estimating what you really eat.

Don't lose hope!
  18. raffaeleparisi

raffaeleparisi Isn't it?

I'm not a skinny guy. But I do work out. I also do Stronglifts. It's quite a good program. But like any routine, it requires dedication.
    In a couple of months, I'm able to lift weight I wasn't able to before.
    Having a workout buddy also keeps you motivated.
  19. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

I experimented with slow, controlled pistol squats yesterday, stabilizing myself with one arm holding a railing (though a pole or rope might be better). I'm fairly sore today so I think they were effective but I've got to work on my technique. I'd like to have a few good leg strengthening exercises that don't require equipment... wall sits are another option but my knees felt terrible after doing them a few times during the summer.

Any ideas? I also do sprints and jumping in place (which sounds stupid but is good if you go all out for like 60 seconds).
  20. HighShroomish

Squat jumps. Once you start doing them for a couple of minutes, you'll really be feeling it in your thighs.