What is your favorite generation of starter Pokemon?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by StrongRhino, Dec 18, 2012.

?

What is your favorite generation of starter Pokemon?

1. Gen 1

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Gen 2

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. Gen 3

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. Gen 4

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Gen 5

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. StrongRhino

StrongRhino 6P fantasy football champ 2013!

The title says it all. Personally, I like Gen 4 because Empoleon is so awesome.
    I'd rank them like this:
    Gen 4
    Gen 1
    Gen 2
    Gen 3
    Gen 5

Someone voted for Gen 5? This had RD written all over it.
  2. Bleak

Bleak Glorious beacon of light

Generation 1 for me - no question.

I think it's worth pointing out how much of an impact nostalgia is going to have in this - I know for me in particular, it's very hard for the other generations to live up to the "cool factor" that the first generation had purely due to how exciting and new it was as a kid. I imagine that most people will gravitate toward whichever generation was newest when they began playing.
  3. cabd

cabd Taking over for Tamoo as the girly looking mod.

Not gonna lie, I went for gen 2. I've been around for every single gen, but there was just something special about Jhoto's starters for me.
  4. RisingDawn

RisingDawn #1 Oshawott fan! :0<

Duh, and its against the rules to double post.

I really wonder if people are voting for their actual starter or the Awesome-Yet-Impratical Fire/Flying type it becomes

EDIT : There is nothing wrong with gen 5. Smugleaf, Wotter and Pignition have plenty of fans.
  5. Bleak

C'mon man, you've been around long enough to know not to minimod. I had already taken care of it before you even posted.

That's a good point. Charizard is unquestionably my favorite Pokemon, but I think Squirtle is my all time favorite of the starters, with Charmander being a close second.
  6. StrongRhino

I am guilty of the above, though to be honest I really like Piplup too.
    I don't think there is really much wrong with Gen 5 starters in particular, I think the Pokemon get worse with each expansion, and Gen 5 is the newest. Don't get me wrong, they are great starters, but they feel… unoriginal.
  7. RisingDawn

Ah sorry man, wasn't my intent to minimod.

I rank starters as
    1) Do you really have to ask?
    2)Cyndaquil
    3)Mudkip
    4)Squirtle
    5)Bulbasaur

top 5 in my opinion
  8. TTSky

TTSky Jingle, Jingle

Bleak likes Squirtle better than Charmander!? I did not see that coming.

I personally prefer Gen 3, since I like all the starters from it! Gen 1 is a close second though.
  9. StrongRhino

My starter rankings:
    Piplup
    Squirtle
    Cyndaquil
    Turtwig
    Oshawott

All this actually brings up another poll/debate. What starter type do you like the most?
  10. Bleak

Ha, yeah. To be honest, though - if it weren't for the squirtle squad, Charmander would be my favorite.
  11. RisingDawn

How unorginal?

Smug grass snake? Orginal
    Samurai Woobie Otter? Orginal
    Sumo Fire pig? Aside from the typing Orginal

Even Gen1 has hits and misses.

I consider an animate pile of sludge just as bad as a genie who makes Tornadoes.

The more Pokemon the better, Gives alot more Pokemon to love, new and intresting combos and more team building options.

Every time I try to play Gen 1 the team options get so limited

Gen 5 is clearly better than Gen 4 in the new pokemon department IMO.

sorry if i sound like im ranting here btw :p
  12. StrongRhino

If everyone on 6P came here to argue their points and defend their opinions, we'd have like 25 pages in minutes. Really though, it's all just opinion.
    Can everyone else see the poll results? I might of made it not public. If so, could a mod please fix this if they can?
    Anyway, as I was saying about the type thing, I made another thread: http://www.sixprizes.com/forums/thr...ite-type-of-starter-pokémon.8827/#post-125878
  13. sonicboom

sonicboom number 1# treecko fan

gen 3 forever as i started playing since gen 3 and treecko is awesome and i like sceptile
    and risingdawn your samurai wotter cannot defeat the all mighty treecko
  14. Revanchist

Revanchist Rayquaza: The Ultimate in Pokemon Awesomeness

Gen 3 all the way. Mudkip, Treeko, Sharpedo, Rayquaza, the list goes on and on...
  15. Bleak

This thread is about starters, everyone. Keep it on that.
  16. SoldiersSpirit

SoldiersSpirit I will defend my Kingdom.

Voted Gen I as stated above, nostalgia just can't be beat. I think there's a reason you could like a starter more than you would if something didn't happen to/with it. For example the squirtle squad...squirtle might've still been popular if Ash still had one but not as great imo. Same with anything else...todadile being obnoxius, piplup because of Dawn and by far...if Bulbasaur wasn't a leader in the village and continue to have that leadership quality even up till now he wouldn't be as great. I think Bulbasaur is the best just because he's awesome and keeps everyone in check :p
  17. InfinityMinusOne

InfinityMinusOne Has a tendency to exist

Generation II, all the way. Like Bleak said in his first post, I do share a sort of nostalgia with the generation as a whole, while Gen IV is my least favorite by far.
    My top 5 Starters would be something like:
    1.) Cyndaquil
    2.) Totodile
    3.) Squirtle
    4.) Charmander
    5.) Treeko
  18. Innocent_Shine

Innocent_Shine still aka Lynx

Generation 2 is probably the only generation where the Grass starter isn't my default, so you'd think it'd be my least favorite (I always pick Grass starter). But the trade-off is Cyndaquil and Totodile and why are people even picking any generation that doesn't give you Feraligatr or Typhlosion?

Venusaur and Charizard are very close but it's got Feraligatr.
  19. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

Gen I - I like Squirtle as a starter, but you have to consider what they will become, and that means picking Charmander.

Gen II - Can't go wrong with Totodile or Cyndaquil. Dislike the whole Meganium line.

Gen III - Mudkip-Swampert line is fantastic, but it's hard not to choose Torchic because there are no other decent Fire Pokemon in the whole game. What am I supposed to use for Fire? Freaking Torkoal?????

Gen IV - Piplup is good. Chimchar is legit. You would only pick Turtwig if you were some kind of masochist who wanted to play through the game with something uber slow that has many Weaknesses. I know that's kind of like all the Grass starters, but it seems worse than usual.

Gen V - Snivy is ok. Usually pick Oshawott because you don't get any other nice Water Pokemon for ages (especially in BW2). Pignite is really cute, but Emboar is a horrible looking Pokemon that I don't want to be stuck with for most of the game.

Conclusion - Gen II wins because it has TWO starters that I like. Both of their evos are good, and they work well in game too.