What will happen to our beloved beach!

Discussion in 'Pokemon TCG News & Gossip' started by DimeDarrell9, Apr 4, 2014.

1. DimeDarrell9

DimeDarrell9 New Member

So im this this big question has came up, WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN TO TROPICAL BEACH.
    Its been around since HGSS and still is in formant(correct me if im wrong on that)
    me and some friends have came up with, ether its getting promo'ed or banned (rotated)
    i play delrayboar and my fear of the rotation is coming up but i dont have beaches myself. So ive been limited to decks but itd be a joy to me if it was promo'ed

So tell me your opinion on this
  2. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

You can never say for certain with Pokemon, but I would be shocked if it wasn't just rotated out with all the other pre-Plasma Black Star promos. (It is already a promo, so I'm not sure what you mean by it getting 'promo'ed').

I can't think why they would make any special effort to keep it in the format.

If they ever brought it back under a different name, I would bet money that the effect would be draw 6 instead of 7.
  3. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

I could see them doing that. I mean they already did that with PONT (Shauna) and they are going to do it with Pokemon Collector (Pokemon Fan Club).
  4. PellOfTheTundra

PellOfTheTundra Do you even LT-87

Both of those are already reprints of old cards though.
    Shauna is Professor Oak's Research
    Pokemon Fan Club is literally Pokemon Fan Club.

Funny thing is both are cards from the e-Reader sets.
    PokemonGeek likes this.
  5. Professor_N

Whoa, whoa, whoa, I don't date back that far into the game. I'm a HGSS man. But that's a cool fact to know. I like to see Pokemon printing old cards again, but what I hate is that they had even better versions that they decided to take out. I guess they were too powerful, or something.
  6. PellOfTheTundra

I don't either, technically, since I was a collector scrub back then, but I make sure to do my research on each of the trainers in new sets because I like to see how things are progressing.
    As-is a lot of our supporters are from Base Set up to EX R&S. Kinda like the idea of where we are headed if they keep a similar design.
    I hated Base-on, if I am honest, so I chose not to play. But, I can draw quite a few similarities between this format and that one. If we are getting better supporters, hopefully that means the game will progress and we can see a better game than that one.

Also, I feel like a lot of people's infatuation with Base-on is nostalgia, just like people's infatuation with RBY.

Anyway, I am getting off-topic.
  7. Otaku

Otaku Well-Known Member

@PellOfTheTundra

Base-On?

Do you mean the early days of the game, when the Unlimited Format was the Standard Format?* I ask because I haven't heard it referred to as such before (which hey, there's a lot I don't know =P) and because (owing largely to games where it is official) the first set of each block is sometimes called a "Base Set" (as opposed to the Base Set, the name of the first Pokémon TCG set released under WotC).

*At the time many people didn't realize that the "Standard" Format just referred to whatever the default tournament format was, but I am aware of that and am indeed using it correctly; right now NXD-On is the Standard Format and I believe I am seeing the terminology make a come back.
    PellOfTheTundra likes this.
  8. PellOfTheTundra

Yeah. That is actually EXACTLY what I am referring to.
  9. Otaku

Otaku Well-Known Member

The modern format isn't as bad as Base-On, though when people don't grasp the similarities it runs the risk of being worse due to the lack of recognition; ignorance is dangerous. There are also a few areas where the modern stuff may actually be "worse" (as in more unbalanced) than the "old stuff".

Of course, I actually had a project that failed due to lack of play testers a year or two ago that I should bring up: perhaps over complicating it I referred to the first phase as B2FX, which was shorthand for Base Set to Fossil, with the X standing for either exceptions or variables/variations... yeah I never came up with much better. Long story short (relatively speaking) I was checking to see what cards caused the most problems in that era. My conclusion was that the worst offenders were Energy Removal and Super Energy Removal. I did get to do some limited testing before letting the project lapse and it was quite promising.

Looks like, though everything else did still makes Haymaker the top deck, the gap between it and the next best is all but eliminated: the old Tier 1, 2, and 3 decks became the new Tier 1, and subtle differences in build resulted in more distinct play. Not only was Haymaker just barely the BDIF now that a big attacker could set up and start OHKOing those big Basic Pokémon as its Energy wasn't being flung away and not only did that compress the older decks from Tier 1-3 into a new Tier 1, the "borderline" decks that were functional but got stomped by "real" decks themselves become the new Tier 2 and 3. Cards like Base Set Electrode become huge then they aren't getting discarded by your opponent's trainers (and threaten a T2 OHKO spree against Haymaker decks - 70 is no longer the magic number for safety). Set-up Pokémon like Jungle Kangaskhan are worthwhile investments because of the rest that they bring to the table, and type-matching for Resistance becomes huge!

S'really quite fun. :)
  10. Hurrmaadurr

Hurrmaadurr Is blasting off again

With nats and worlds a few months away, is it even worth buying beach anymore?
  11. baby_mario

It could be a tough one: buy Beach now and you (most likely) won't get to play it much before it rotates, but if you feel you need it for the two biggest tournaments of the year . . .

Actually, it's getting them for Nats that might be the problem. Most people will likely be able to borrow them at Worlds.
  12. Professor_N

If it were to get Beaches for Worlds it would definitely only be by borrowing. And judging by my 20 CP it would also be for the grinder.
  13. OshaWaterBottle

OshaWaterBottle Active Member

Would Rayboar/Stoise still be playable if Beach drew you one less card?
  14. Hurrmaadurr

I would think so, any deck can work without beach. It probably would hurt the setup a little bit, but I don't think ray boar and blastoise will be going anywhere
  15. Gelato

Gelato The Swarm

I use RayBoar without Beach and do absolutely fine. It's really more of a luxury than a necessity.
  16. Hurrmaadurr

I agree 100% I run battle city in whatever I play usually, plus if you prioritize delphox over emboar, it will get you set up a lot faster
    Gelato likes this.
  17. baby_mario

When good players who have Beaches choose to leave them out of their Rain Dance decks, then I'll believe that the deck is 'absolutely fine' without them.

You can get by without Beach, but optimised lists will be using them.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Serperior and KPiplup like this.
  18. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter

It is not "absolutely fine" without Beach.

I 100% believe anyone saying so is deluding themselves into thinking such.
    Serperior likes this.
  19. Frd123

Frd123 New Member

I used to play a beachless Rayboar list. Then recently I managed to borrow 2 Beaches from a friend. And I have to say that it is a huge improvement. Using this card I can easily fit some of the techs that are needed to guarantee some matches. Enabling me to use 3 Tool Scrapper instead of 2. 3 tepigs instead of 4. 1 Baby Rayquaza and even some catchers.

It is not impossible to play without beaches, but the deck is another monster with it.
  20. Frd123

Frd123 New Member

What are we suppose to use after rotation as a counter stadium for Blastoise and Emboar?

Battle city, Pokemon Center, Skyarrow Bridge and Tropical Beach will probably all rotate together.