“What’s This?” – The Evolution of the NXD-LTR Format

Discussion in 'UG Article Talk' started by rayc591, Nov 26, 2013.

1. rayc591

rayc591 Member

2. airhawk06

airhawk06 Active Member

People in the St. Louis area have been working with the Ninja deck for a few weeks now, although with a different take on it. We've been using more Ninjask with a Bangle, then switching into a Sigilyph/Suicune against EX decks.

This give you the ability to OHKO Blastoise and Keldeo EX. It also allows you to completely wall EX decks a large portion of the time.
    webjefita and rayc591 like this.
  3. rayc591

rayc591 Member

That sounds like a really neat idea @airhawk06. I will definitely have to try it out. When I talked with Nate (the winner) he seemed to think of it as his fun deck that he happened to do well with. If more people are thinking it has potential using different variations maybe it is a deck option worth exploring! Certainly sounds like it could be viable if Garbodor isn't big an any given area.
  4. areuter

areuter Member

Great read, but in the Tool Drop section of the article, you spelled "Elesa" as "Elisa".
    Adam likes this.
  5. areuter

areuter Member

6. Vysekun

Vysekun The Ninetales and the Grapes

Yo @rayc591 I played your Blastoise list with:
    -3 Tool Scrapper
    +2 Energy Retrieval, +1 Black Kyurem EX

I dodged Garbodor all day at a 'Win a Booster Box' tournament. 19 People, $30 entry. 5 rounds, no top cut.

Matchups were
    Blastoise Mirror (W)
    VirGen (W)
    Ho-oh (W)
    RayBoar (W)
    Empire (L)

Came 1st. So I won a Booster Box.

I feel the changes I want to make are:
    -1 Keldeo EX
    -1 Energy Retrieval
    -1 Computer Search

+1 Zekrom PLF
    +1 Tool Scrapper
    +1 Dowsing Machine

So it'll look like:

Pokémon – 15
    4 Squirtle BCR
    3 Blastoise BCR
    2 Keldeo EX
    3 Black Kyurem EX PLS
    1 Black Kyurem BCR
    1 Zekrom PLF
    1 Jirachi EX

Trainers – 33
    4 Professor Juniper
    3 N
    4 Skyla
    2 Colress

4 Rare Candy
    4 Superior Energy Retrieval
    2 Energy Retrieval
    3 Ultra Ball
    1 Heavy Ball
    1 Level Ball
    1 Energy Search
    1 Tool Scrapper
    1 Dowsing Machine

3 Tropical Beach

Energy – 12
    10 Water
    2 Lightning

Any thoughts? I get the importance of having access to 3 scrapper over the course of a game vs Darkrai Garbodor, so it makes me want to cut to 9 water energy or something to make space.

Yesterday at the Win a Box, I predicted that there wouldn't be many prevalent Darkrai Garbodor decks, and whilst there were 4 garbo decks in the field, I managed to dodge them by not losing, and those 3 slots did a lot of work. I'm worried about whether there will be a shift to garbodor at the League Challenge this weekend, but I wonder if more than who did play Garbodor will be inclined to play it.

I guess if I can form a hunch, I might try and dodge garbodor again (and run no scrapper).
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  7. webjefita

webjefita New Member

It's been fixed.
  8. rayc591

rayc591 Member

Congratulations @Vysekun on your win :) I think cutting a Keldeo EX is a fine choice if you are adding Zekrom. You have to find room for it to deal with Empoleon, and cutting a Keldeo EX is fine. I can't stress enough that you will need access to three scrapper if you want a chance to beat Garbodor. Since you won with Blastoise I would suspect a shift in the metagame where Garbodor gets played more. However, all areas are different, and I don't know what the tendencies of your player base are. I would recommend adding the second scrapper and changing to dowsing at that point. Just make sure you save the dowsing for scrapper in the Garbodor matchup. I would cut one of your energy retrieval for the second scrapper.
    Vysekun likes this.
  9. davidashlock

davidashlock New Member

I think this article gave me many ideas and you are the best.
    -Aren (Davids son)
    rayc591 and Adam like this.
  10. rayc591

rayc591 Member