“Who Needs Sleep?” – Random Retorts and a Tournament Report!

Discussion in 'UG Article Talk' started by eriknance, Nov 1, 2013.

1. eriknance

eriknance Member

2. xquqx

xquqx Member

I got mentioned (as the friend who nonchalantly walked up), does that make me famous now?
  3. Crawdaunt

Crawdaunt Active Member

This is the first time in a while that I genuinely didn't know a card existed. Genesect PR 99? Bu-wha?
    Matt91_ likes this.
  4. kgenthe

kgenthe Member

I seriously LOLed, hilarious stuff!
  5. eriknance

eriknance Member

just curious guys, but how did you like the idea of a tournament report? I haven't done one this detailed in quite some time, and I found it to be really difficult given the new structure. essentially, I'm writing about 30+ games rather than 10-15 (as has been in the past).

did you get bored reading through all the games? was there something more you would have liked? many games were basically repeats; would you have liked for me to skip those?
  6. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

I read through all the games, but to be fair, I had to! I enjoyed the recaps, but maybe in the future you could skip the less exciting/noteworthy rounds to cut down on the length.
    eriknance likes this.
  7. kgenthe

kgenthe Member

I rather enjoy the longer articles. When I read UG articles I'm not just casually skimming through them, I'm taking my time and reading the entire thing. More like a book, less like a magazine. So if you have 9000 words worth of worthwhile content to type, by all means, please do.
    eriknance likes this.
  8. dadoc

dadoc Professor

Great article, Eric. Always enjoy reading your writings, going back to your Steelix Tank article in another era.

I share the sentiment of time being too short and ties frustrating. I came up with 5-2-2 at Philly, missing cut by 2 pts, both of my ties ended in game 3, with me taking 4 and 5 prizes respectively to opponent's none, needing just 1 more turn to win. One of those opponents did offer the game to me when I was at 2-2-1, but I mistakenly thought I was out of day 2 already, as 21 pts cutoff had been announced multiple times, so I declined thinking we were merely playing for CP's and packs. :( Still, lots of things could have happened differently even if I had it 3-2-1 instead of 2-2-2, and I believe many other players would have played differently had they known 18 pts would bubble. Lesson learned.

Eric, I find your suicune list very intriguing, and want to try it. What would you change with the new rules now and a couple new cards? Would you still play catcher since you have sableye there or escape rope? Would you use Elesa? Energy switch? Phione?? Thanks.

p.s. I don't mind reading the long report either, as long as you share the insights of your thought process and in-game decision making. I'll take this over any other "short" reports full of "I set up, I won."
    eriknance likes this.
  9. JayHornung

JayHornung Active Member

Why do we not live closer together...your testing is how I'd love to do a majority of mine :)