Wild Blaze [JPN] // Flashfire [ENG]

Discussion in 'Pokemon TCG News & Gossip' started by Vablakes, Dec 12, 2013.

1. HighShroomish

HighShroomish Wreck-It Ralts

From NXD-on(mostly), the mascots turned out to be fairly decent.
    NXD- Zekrom EX, Mewtwo EX
    DEX- Darkrai EX
    DRX- Rayquaza EX
    BCR- Keldeo EX, Landorous EX
    PLS- Lugia EX
    PLF- Thundurus EX, Deoxys EX
    PLB- Virizion EX, Genesect EX

I'd say these were all fairly good cards. There is a good chance that Charizard EX/M Charized EX could be good.
    Serperior likes this.
  2. pokemonguy

pokemonguy Making Bad Last-Minute Changes Since Nats 2014

Don't forget in X&Y Yevatal (No idea how to spell that) Xernias (Again no idea how to spell it) are OK.
  3. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

Charizard doesn't need to be good to be a set mascot (see Supreme Victors for details).

It's enough just to be Charizard.

He might be good, he might not. Set mascot status is very flimsy evidence to pin your hopes on though.
    Otaku likes this.
  4. Charranitar

Charranitar Well-Known Member

It just seems like with each set they try to make 1-2 EX's really add something to the game either through making it good in its own right and sometimes giving it extra support.

As already posted

Mewtwo, Darkrai, Rayquaza, Keldeo, Landorus, Lugia, Thundurus, Deoxys, Virizion and Genesect have all been major meta forces in their life (and actually all of those cards are still relevant too). Yvetal will obviously be very strong and Xerneas has some major fairy support so it appears like it will be good too.

It'd be so disappointing if the trend just stops with Charizard. I think with the new EX's, they appear to want at least one game changing card (the mascot ex) that may come with support to shake up the game a decent amount.

But who knows. Maybe they'll hamper it with a snipe attack that Mr. Mime renders useless and a five energy attack that is difficult to power up and leaves it in danger of major Evil Ball damage.
  5. Otaku

Otaku Well-Known Member

@Charranitar

Wait, did we already see the other Pokémon-EX in this set?

Otherwise the "trend" would be that the Pokémon-EX that correspond to Evolved Pokémon haven't been very good, and specifically the ones based on the final forms of the original Starters have been poor.

I'll be happy to be wrong, however. :)
  6. pokemonguy

pokemonguy Making Bad Last-Minute Changes Since Nats 2014

I think they are coincidently bad. We have seen 4 so far, Excadrill was OK, Chandlure was OK. They were just bad for the format that they were in.
  7. Otaku

Otaku Well-Known Member

Where as I think Blastoise EX and Venusaur EX may have been intentionally "pre-nerfed", but I suspect that of the whole Mega EX mechanic. Given how often I state things far too authoritatively, let me be clear: I just "suspect". No real proof. Though I will point out that Excadrill EX was kind of robbed; had it released in just about any other Pokémon-EX containing set, it might have had some time in the sun. Specifically, 40 for (CC) on a Fighting-Type was great... when you could attack first turn. Probably wouldn't have been worth it, but you could have also used Pokédex if the discards seemed to be too much of a problem. Instead we get Excadrill EX when those are no longer options.
  8. PellOfTheTundra

PellOfTheTundra Do you even LT-87

Or maybe it will have a single attack: a snipe attack that bypasses Mr. Mime at the cost of energy discard or milling deck, or hand discard?
  9. Charranitar

I think Charizard EX will have an attack that can OHKO other Mega EX's. They seem to like letting Charizard hit harder than other Pokemon.
  10. JR_nathan

JR_nathan Mr.3 Rings Himself

And for ridiculous energy costs too.
    eggrolls, SamSoldier and Otaku like this.
  11. Drench

Drench Active Member

As long as I see a Ho-Oh EX reprinted, I'll be pleased.
  12. public_toilet

public_toilet Seriously Likeable here guys, Just sayin.

These are the EXes that did pretty well (apart from Zekrom EX) and I don't think they're the set mascots.

The Japanese Mascots were- (I don't mean they definitely are the correct ones but I think they are probably the English mascots as well)

NXD- Mewtwo EX and Kyurem EX (Hail Blizzard and Psycho Drive)
    DEX- Zoroark (Dark Rush)
    DRX- Garchomp and Hydreigon (Dragon Blade and Dragon Blast)
    BCR- Black and White Kyurem EX (Cold Flare and Freeze Bolt)
    PLS- Lugia EX (Plasma Gale)
    PLF- Deoxys EX and Thundurus EX (Spiral Force and Thunder Knuckle)
    PLB- Genesect EX (Megalo Canon)
    LTR- Genesect and Mewtwo non EX or Reshiram and Zekrom (Not sure on this one but I think they mostly relate to it. It could be all 4)
    XY?- Xerneas EX and Yveltal EX

I believe these are the true mascots because their Attacks are similar/same as the equivalent Japanese set names.

This goes off of Japan so they may have changed but I personally think these represent the set best.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    jeffrey3421 likes this.
  13. HighShroomish

HighShroomish Wreck-It Ralts

They were focal points of the set. The stuff they used to promote the set. If I wanted to say "did well," Then there's Mew EX, Dusknoir BCR, Blastoise BCR Tornadus EX, Raikou EX, Absol PLF, Empoleon DEX, Accelgor DEX... I didn't say them just because they were from that set and were good, I was saying they were focal points of the set and they did well.(And yes, Zekrom EX had some time in the sun)
  14. public_toilet

public_toilet Seriously Likeable here guys, Just sayin.

From the cards you put I have to agree that most of those cards were the focal points of the set but you specifically say mascots

So you can see how I have taken all this literally however, your list could also be considered as mascots too but I have gone straight from the Japanese sets. Obviously, there is a massive list of cards that have been used to some success but, when I replied I also said that you put the EXes that did well, not Implying the non EXes.

Although Zekrom EX did have time in the Sun, it doesn't have much special about it and hasn't spent much longer than most other mediocre EXes.

TBH, the main focal points weren't just single Cards for the majority of the sets, they may have been as selective groups of cards instead e.g.:

NXD introduction of EXes
    DEX Dark type focus
    DRX introduction of Dragon types
    BCR introduction of Ace Specs
    PLS introduction of team Plasma Pokemon
    PLF nothing really special about this one just making team plasma OP
    PLB countering the Meta e.g Silver Mirror, Silver Bangle, Verdant Wind etc.
    LTR reprints
  15. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

Finally scans!
    EDIT: These are from the Xerneas Yvetal decks ugh. Still cool nonetheless thanks for the one who pointed it out

Wigglytuff - Fairy - HP100
    Stage 2 - Evolves from Jigglypuff

[C] Balloon Bomber: 20x damage. Does 20 damage times the number of Energy attached to this Pokemon.
    [Y][Y][C] Double-Edge: 90 damage. This Pokemon does 10 damage to itself.

Weakness: Metal (x2)
    Resistance: Darkness (-20)
    Retreat: 2

Clefairy - Fairy - HP60
    Basic Pokemon

[Y] Moon Force: 10 damage. During your opponent's next turn, any damage done to this Pokemon by your opponent's attacks is reduced by 10 damage.

Weakness: Metal (x2)
    Resistance: Darkness (-20)
    Retreat: 1

Fairy Garden - Trainer
    Stadium

Each Pokemon that has Fairy Energy attached to it (both yours and your opponent's) has no Retreat Cost.

This card stays in play when you play it. Discard this card if another Stadium card comes into play. If another card with the same name is in play, you can’t play this card.

Malamar - Darkness - HP100
    Stage 1 - Evolves from Inkay

[C] Brain Panic: 30 damage. If the Defending Pokemon tries to attack during your opponent's next turn, your opponent flips a coin. If tails, that attack does nothing.
    [D][D][C] Penetrate: 90 damage. This attack's damage isn't affected by Resistance.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
    Resistance: Psychic (-20)

Pancham - Fighting - HP70
    Basic Pokemon

[C][C] Comet Punch: 10x damage. Flip 4 coins. This attack does 10 damage times the number of heads.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
    Resistance: none

Shauna - Trainer
    Supporter

Shuffle your hand into your deck. Then, draw 5 cards.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

Shadow Circle - Trainer
    Stadium

Each Pokemon that has Darkness Energy attached to it (both yours and your opponent's) has no Weakness.

This card stays in play when you play it. Discard this card if another Stadium card comes into play. If another card with the same name is in play, you can’t play this card.

Chesnaught EX - Grass - HP180
    Basic Pokemon

[G][C][C] Pin Missile: 40x damage. Flip 4 coins. This attack deals 40 damage times the number of heads.
    [G][G][C][C] Wild Tackle: 120 damage. This Pokemon does 20 damage to itself.

When Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
    Resistance: none
    Retreat: 4

Courtesy to pokebeach for posting these. Go there for the images
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    Gelato and StrongRhino like this.
  16. PellOfTheTundra

PellOfTheTundra Do you even LT-87

Omg.

Shauna yay.
    Shadow Circle yay.
    Fairy Garden boo.
    Chesnaught EX boo.
    Wow cool set so far.

In all seriousness... Fairies are getting good support, Yveltal/Darkrai gets a stadium in case it doesn't want to plop down Darkrai or Virbank, Chesnaught still sucks, and SHAUNA.

YAY DRAW CARDS. Too bad it couldn't be 6 cards, like PONT.
  17. Charranitar

Those aren't Wild Blaze cards btw. They're from the Yvetal and Xerneas half decks.
  18. StormFront

StormFront Active Member

The stadium cards are interesting the rest is meh.
  19. Shauna seems decent as well.
  20. SeaLegend

SeaLegend Active Member

Btw, Xerneas/Yveltal half-deck cards are confirmed for XY base here.
    StrongRhino and Otaku like this.