Wild Blaze [JPN] // Flashfire [ENG]

Discussion in 'Pokemon TCG News & Gossip' started by Vablakes, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Tsunami

Tsunami Seems legit.

Either way, the math seems to favor fairy decks, espescially with the ability to freetreat, switch around energy, and max potion.
  2. StormFront

StormFront Active Member

Charizard-EX - Fire - HP180
    Basic Pokemon

[R][C] Mega Awakening: Search your deck for M Charizard-EX, show it to your opponent, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.
    [R][C][C][C] Brave Fire: 120 damage. This Pokemon does 30 damage to itself.

When Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Water (x2)
    Resistance: none
    Retreat: 3

Mega Awakening could have been good if it allowed you to directly place the Mega Evolution on Charizard-EX. I think Mega Charizard EX is almost certainly gonna suck too.
  3. HighShroomish

HighShroomish Wreck-It Ralts

This could've been decent had it not damaged itself along with a lower energy cost .and what you said about Mega Awakening...
    But it's Charizard. They made the last card sucky, and this one, so I beleive they are obliged to make the next playable.
  4. PellOfTheTundra

PellOfTheTundra Do you even LT-87

Nope. It'll suck.

This sucked, the last one sucked, the designers are doing a thing. But, we always have 1-2 more Charizard-EXes, this is just one.
  5. MetalArmedAngel

MetalArmedAngel My lovely Luka ♥♥

Well, the arceus one wasn't THAT bad...
  6. PellOfTheTundra

Yeah, but look at how many GOOD charizards exist, and you won't find many.
  7. Charranitar

Charranitar Well-Known Member

The real Charizard EX's will probably be good. It's the mascot of the set and the half decks so they probably won't make those one's very crappy.

This is a free promo card that comes in a magazine so of course it's bad.

And we really don't know what all will be in this set. Even though X/Y didn't have ace specs doesn't mean this set won't bring them back.
    Alastair and HighShroomish like this.
  8. camoclone

camoclone Tomorrow we strike...

I want an Ace-Spec pokemon, Supporter, or Stadium (best way to nerf beach is to make it an Ace-Spec).
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    Vablakes, HighShroomish and Alastair like this.
  9. Alastair

Alastair Mr. Evil Dr. Porkchop

That would work.
  10. Tsunami

Tsunami Seems legit.

I agree, but to do that without adding more support for stage 2 decks would make playing blastoise, gothgor, rayboar, empire, and others decks that much harder to play. In addition, making beach an ace spec would require an errata (which we already had, not sure how that works), or it would need a reprint (thereby lowering its value and making people who bought 2-3 and use them angry about how much money they wasted). I think they just have to let beach rotate.
  11. HighShroomish

HighShroomish Wreck-It Ralts

You obviously don't agree...

But if people are mad, let them be mad. It's like spending a ton of money on a deck, because we all know that someday it'll have to be rotated. You're not gonna go around flipping tables when you just lost a ton of money to the rotation.
    If Beach did get an ACE-SPEC errata, all you'd have to do would be to sell it to get some of your money back. It's value wouldn't go down a ton compared to its price anyways. It's still an extremely good card.
  12. Charranitar

Tropical Beach doesn't need to be made into an Ace Spec, it's a perfectly healthy card. Outside of Blastoise/Emboar (which are functionally the same deck) the best decks typically don't care about Beach. Virizion wants Virbank or Skyarrow, Darkrai Virbank, and Plasma Frozen City.

They do need some type of a reprint though or new card with same or better effect. I just hate the feeling of going to a tournament if I lose my Blastoise deck or whatever a $1000 is gone in just those cards, especially since I borrow my. The Beaches I use for others.
  13. Alastair

Alastair Mr. Evil Dr. Porkchop

In my opinion, Beach is unnecessary unless one would build a deck around the card. Blastoise and Emboar can work fine without it, and so many people play it or don't play it that it is made obsolete by its own playability. It is a money hole.
  14. StormFront

StormFront Active Member

Since the new rule changes I've never played Tropical Beach in a deck I previously wouldn't have.
  15. Charranitar

In this format, Blastoise/Emboar actually need Tropical Beach since you need Stadium counters to Frozen City. Without Beach, it's hard to make it consistent, since you still need to devote around 3 spots to Stadiums just so you don't lose to every Frozen City deck you play. I would agree, if Frozen City wasn't so prevalent in the meta game, that you could build it without Beach, but it's pretty much a necessity now.[DOUBLEPOST=1390005289][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I think Garbodor kind of ruined the meta game with how overpowered it is without a reliable gust effect for every deck. What the format has kind of devolved into is Garbodor decks (Darkrai/Big Basics), Big Basic decks that aren't overly reliant on their Abilities or can make good use of them during the one turn of having Abilities (Plasma, Virizion/Genesect), and Stage 2 rain dance decks that are reliable on Big Basic attackers which have room for multiple Tool Scrapper. The other Stage 2's that made Top 32 from what I saw at Virginia were Gothitelle and Dragonite decks, both of which can get away with one scrapper followed by Item lock the rest of the game (and Dragonite even runs its own Garbodor line haha).

I think we'd see a lot more creative Stage 2 usages if Garbodor wasn't so prevalent, and Tropical Beach would be very good in those. But as the format has devolved

Especially with Garbodor being reprinted and Tool Scrapper not having been, I hope there is a stronger Garbodor counter in one of the upcoming sets. Not an Item like Tool Scrapper, but hopefully something like a Stage 1 with an Ability that shuts off Garbotoxin Abilities and is unaffected by Garbotoxin.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    SamSoldier likes this.
  16. JR_nathan

JR_nathan Mr.3 Rings Himself

Unless Garbodor was to be rotated along with Tool Scrapper, that would more than likely be the case.

That was, after all, the entire purpose of Tool Scrapper; to keep Garbodor from getting to be too strong and overpowered.

Going off on a different note, as far as the next set is concerned, Yveltal will most likely turn into what Mewtwo EX was when it first came out with the only exception being that only Dark type decks will be able to take advantage of Yveltal's unreal capabilities.

I'm getting the feeling that this upcoming format may turn into last year's BLW-PLS format with Darkrai/Yveltal becoming the "Big Basics" of X&Y and everyone else falling in line with it.

That said, I hope this set makes up for that and turns the format back towards diverse, evenly matched ( or at the very least fun) decks.
  17. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter

Format as it sits right now is bleh.

I have serious doubts that they'll print anything shutting specifically Garbodor off, as it'd involve crossing generations. They don't do that.

I do, however, think we'll get Tool Scrapper reprinted fairly soon.
  18. Charranitar

Yeah, that's true. It'd just be nice to have something you can stick on the field and counter Garbodor for a few turns. From there, the Garbodor deck can still Catcher up whatever and knock it out. Tool Scrapper is just such a meh counter.

As for Darkrai/Yvetal, I think it'll definitely be very good, but Yvetal has some hard counters with Emolga and Raichu coming out in the same set, and there's a lot more stuff for dealing with a strong EX, something that wasn't there when Mewtwo came out.
    KPiplup likes this.
  19. PellOfTheTundra

Raichu? Did I miss something?
    EDIT: Nevermind.

Not even concerned, as there's a reason we have Shadow Circle and Darkrai. Sure, we could have a HGSS-on-esque Stage 1s deck involving Raichu and Dugtrio among others, but I don't think it will function as well in this format.

Besides, I've already seen people start teching Absol into Yveltal lists. It's a colossus of a deck, you could even say: the deck to beat.
  20. StormFront

StormFront Active Member

There is plenty of techs which can counter Garbodor. It's just that no one ever plays them. People are far to predisposed to think that Tool-Scrapper is more that enough to deal with it.