Worlds Travel Plans

Discussion in 'Organized Play Information & Tournament Reports' started by Adam, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

I'm trying to start making travel plans for Vancouver and was wondering if anyone's already done any research or mapped anything out yet. Mainly I'm trying to figure out how many days to go and where to stay, but information on tourist attractions is cool too.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

EDIT: It's looking like I might fly out Wednesday 8/7 and fly back late Monday 8/12. Not sure about accommodations yet, but Kayak is helpful for looking up prices.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  2. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

Just finalized my plans...

I'm flying in mid-Wednesday 8/7 and am staying at the Coast Coal Harbor through Monday 8/12 and am then flying out late Monday (overnight flight). The hotel is 0.3 miles away from the convention center (about a 5 minute walk) and I was able to get a pretty good deal on it (they have some special where it's 40% off if you book 4 or more nights). It's highly rated according to that website so I think it will be a pleasant stay.

Here are a few tips I picked up from searching:
    • The cheapest flights seemed to be arriving Wednesday and then departing Monday. I was going to do only Thursday to Monday, but it was cheaper for me to pay an extra night for the hotel. So make sure to search different arrival/departure dates to see what's cheapest for you.
    • I booked the flight and hotel together, which saved me a few bucks.
    • Travelocity had a coupon code that popped up while I was searching which saved me $100. So try to look for coupon codes, no matter what site you search on.
    • I used Kayak to search and then they have links to let you compare to other sites. Seems like a solid site to start your searches.
    • Use Google Chrome Incognito mode for your searches. I've heard that travel websites use cookies to monitor your queries and may raise prices based on what you've looked up to encourage you to make a more impromptu purchase.
    • If you book a hotel away from the convention center, just remember you'll need to pay for either a taxi or public transportation back and forth each day. I had to do this for Nationals one year and it added an extra $40 per day, plus it was inconvenient. Vancouver might have better public transport, but it's just something to think about. I'd consider more than 2 miles at the point when you probably wouldn't want to walk it.
    • Don't wait too late to make your plans, since other people are going to start booking their trips soon and hotels might be sold out. I think about now is when flights are cheapest too (about 2 months away).
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  3. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

I think we are staying in the same hotel.

You up for some playtesting?
  4. rafaelkatsuya

rafaelkatsuya Member

Hotels in Vancouver look expensive :S... Only dormitory offer decent prices...

I will not stay very long :0) arrive friday night and leave monday morning. Vancouver looks boring compared to hawaii and san diego.
  5. baby_mario

Hawaii, I would never get bored of, but I don't feel like I need to go to San Diego again (been twice), so I'm happy to try somewhere different.
  6. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

Sweet! Yeah for sure, as long as we can listen to obscure 90's music at the same time.

Yeah the hotels downtown are all pretty pricey. I'm guessing everything is going to be way cheaper than Hawaii though.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  7. rafaelkatsuya

rafaelkatsuya Member

Maybe I will try to squat travel awarded friends room haha XD.
    Adam likes this.
  8. baby_mario

Good job I love obscure 90s music then ;)
  9. sibon

sibon official pajama cardinal

10. blargh257

blargh257 Is now Dedede.

Flying in on the 7th and going out on the 13th I think. I am staying at a hotel a few floors straight up from the convention center, so I'll be very close and able to go whenever.
  11. MetalArmedAngel

MetalArmedAngel My lovely Luka ♥♥

Just a quick question, when does the LCQ start?
  12. baby_mario

13. lolamitsa

lolamitsa New Member

Flying on 7th and get out much later.
    Staying on Sheraton, don't know which.
  14. Luichi

Luichi New Member

Do you guys know where the cheapest place is to stay that's close? Money is a big issue at the moment. As I'm still scrambling to get money for flights.
  15. Serperior

Serperior Well-Known Member

On average at the LCQ tournament how many seniors are there?
  16. blargh257

blargh257 Is now Dedede.

Hmm...
    That depends.
    In Hawaii in 2010 there were 82 and in 2012 there were 55. In San Diego 2011 there were upwards of 120. Given that Vancouver has never been used, I can't give you an estimate. I'm going to guess about 100 since it's on-continent but out of the US.
    On average I don't know.
  17. Kirbyswag

Kirbyswag Pie

Flying from my home state Louisiana to Seattle, then flying from Seatlle to Vancouver. I am not sure where I am staying.
  18. Ziggmiceter

Ziggmiceter Ultimate 6P tournament procrastinator

I'm gonna be in the Hampton Downtown, anyone else?
  19. coolestman22

coolestman22 Now Has Techron

Wouldn't say Darkrai can manage fine without Abilities in a format with Lasers.
  20. blargh257

blargh257 Is now Dedede.

I'm staying at the Vancouver Pacific Suites or something like that. It's directly above the convention center.