Tier 2 Xerneas, Aromatisse

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by TheDewottClan, Jan 20, 2014.

1. TheDewottClan

TheDewottClan Member

Hey Everybody! I'm here to talk about a deck that could be a strong deck in the coming x/y set. Fairy.dec! Here's my list of an aromatisse variant:

Pokemon: 11
    3 Xerneas EX
    2 Xerneas
    3 Aromatisse
    3 Spritzee

T/S/S: 37
    3 Professor Juniper/Sycamore
    3 N
    3 Shauna
    3 Skyla
    1 Colress
    3 level ball
    2 Ultra Ball
    3 Fairy Garden
    4 Evolution Soda
    4 Max potion
    2 Super Potion
    2 Tool Scrapper
    2 Roller Skates
    1 Computer Search
    1 Super Rod

Energy:12
    12 Fairy Energy

Discuss!
  2. InfinityMinusOne

InfinityMinusOne Has a tendency to exist

Alright, as long as this thread hasn't been posted too early:
    With regards to the above list, I see a couple of things that seem out of place:
    -Why run 3 Level Ball, 2 Ultra Ball, AND 4 Evolution Soda? It just seems completely redundant in my head. I would just run the 3 Level Ball and 2 Ultra Ball and call it quits.
    -I'm a bit skeptical about Roller Skates. It's unreliable, and will only net you 1.5 cards on average. I'd sooner run 2 of something else over it.
    -12 Energy seems like a bit too many. After all, with Aromatisse and Super Rod, you shouldn't run out of energy on your main attacker too easily.

Here's my take on the deck (although it might deviate a bit from the "straight-up Xerneas/Aromatisse" theme of the thread):

2 Xerneas EX
    3 Xerneas XY
    3 Spritzee XY
    3 Aromatisse XY
    1 Yveltal EX
    1 Virizion EX/Keldeo EX

4 Juniper/Sycamore
    4 Skyla
    3 Shauna
    2 Colress
    1 N

3 Ultra Ball
    2 Level Ball
    4 Max Potion
    2 Super Potion (on the fence about this. More than the 4 Max Potion might be too much)
    3 Tool Scrapper
    2 Catcher
    2 Super Rod
    3 Fairy Garden
    2 Tropical Beach
    1 Computer Search

6 Fairy Energy
    4 Prism energy

Is the list I plan on testing out. Whether or not I use Virizion or Keldeo will depend on how testing goes. On one hand, having Keldeo will help with any bad starts in the early game and helps get rid of Status conditions, and on the other hand, Virizion stops Status conditions before they even occur. I figured that Yveltal had some pretty excellent synergy with the concept of moving energy around, as I can either constantly refuel his second attack without needing hand attachments, or pile a bunch of energy on him at once like Mewtwo in the Hydreigon decks of old. And this isn't even mentioning the fact that he only requires 1 Dark Energy for each of his attacks, so he's fairly flexible when it comes to this deck. My biggest worry at this point is actually starting with mini-Xerneas consistently withal due consideration of the number of other Basics that I run in this deck. To slightly remedy this, I have added 2 Beach to the deck for the few turns that I might be stuck san-mini-Xerneas each game. There's also the potential threat of an opposing Virgen deck either 1-shotting everything I have or Signal-ing up all my Aromatisse and killing them off in one hit, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it in testing.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  3. MVTK

MVTK Tech M9me

This is my current draft for this deck. Granted there's no Shauna, but I'm trying to see how this plays out.

3 Xerneas EX
    2-2 Aromatisse XY
    2-2 Slurpuff XY
    2 Xerneas XY
    1 Mr. Mime PLF

3 Fairy Garden

4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    3 Skyla
    2 Colress

4 Level Ball
    3 Muscle Band
    3 Max Potion
    2 Ultra Ball
    2 Tool Scrapper
    2 Escape Rope
    1 Professor’s Letter
    1 Dowsing Machine

12 Fairy Energy
    tynamo2014 likes this.
  4. Tax_collecter

Tax_collecter Active Member

I really feel like N is better then Shauna, N servers a major purpose and that is disruption. A late game N can be devastating, and possibly win you the game. I am really excited to see how this deck plays out.
  5. Fairy types have some nice support in the next set. I'd go more along these lines:

Pokemon: 13
    3 Xerneas EX
    4 Xerneas
    2 Aromatisse
    2 Spritzee
    1 Keldeo EX
    1 Mr. Mime/Spritomb (depending on meta.)

T/S/S: 35
    4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    3 Skyla
    1 Shauna (ehhhh)
    4 level ball (You can search for everything except for Xerneas with this)
    3 Ultra Ball
    3 Fairy Garden
    4 Max potion
    2 Tool Scrapper
    2 Escape Rope
    3 Muscleband
    1 Computer Search
    1 Super Rod

Energy:12
    10 Fairy Energy
    2 DCE

Strategy: (Based completely off theorymon) Get out baby Xerneas early and start getting energy on the field. Use support to move energy to desired attackers and prevent special conditions etc. DCE for Faster Xerneas EX. Max potion to heal stuff. Need muscle band in order to hit magic numbers. I don't know. Could be good. Very similar to Hydriegon in effect. Thoughts?
  6. InfinityMinusOne

Ah, but you can also bring your opponent a good hand, and after you've taken 2 prizes, Shauna becomes better than N in at least 1 respect. Granted, I'm not saying that Shauna is better than N, but I am saying that whether or not people decide to play it will depend on whether they want to be more risky (i.e. play N and risk refreshing your opponent's hand and giving him/her new cards to work with, and also risk the chance of being stuck with an N for 1/2 at the end of the game), or take the safer route (use Shauna, always get a consistent 5 cards, and leave your opponent out of it).

On the front of Slurpuff, why do those of you who run it do so? I would consider a single Keldeo EX (or maybe two if you're paranoid about prizes) to be enough in combination with Aromatisse and Fairy Garden. This would give you 2-3 extra slots and not so many basics clogging up your chances of starting with Xerneas XY.
  7. Very true. I guess Keldeo EX in combination with an energy and the new stadium does the same thing and it resets Xerneas EX's attack. Good point. Then you can just move the energy right off. I think I'll edit my post.

This deck may be better than I thought...
  8. PellOfTheTundra

PellOfTheTundra Do you even LT-87

N is only better than Shauna in a deck that plans on taking at least 2 prizes by T2-3. Which means this one.
  9. InfinityMinusOne

Precisely. I thought that it would be "meh" as well, up until I found out that you could just scratch the Slurpuff altogether and make the deck 5 times more consistent, and thought the deck was even cooler when I realized that you could splash in just about any attacker as long as you have Prism as well.

EDIT: And when I mean "any attacker", I mean "any good Basic attacker that only needs one non-Fairy energy or less in order to be good". Anything that is a Stage 2 or requires 2 or more non-Fairy Energy would simply make things too complicated. [DOUBLEPOST=1390274607][/DOUBLEPOST]
    A little confused on that statement. How is N better than Shauna in a deck that plans on taking prizes fast, thus reducing the effectiveness of N more quickly? I feel like a bit of a noob atm :confused:...
  10. SeaLegend

SeaLegend Active Member

Quick question, because I feel like I'm missing something. What important numbers is Muscle Band allowing you to hit in this deck? 140+20=160, 60+20=80, and 100+20=120. It seems to me like those numbers all still fall 10-20 damage short of where they need to be, so I'm not really sure that Muscle Band is a great card in this deck whereas Hard Charm may allow for even more tanking if you are wanting to run a tool.
  11. TheDewottClan

TheDewottClan Member

In regard to your question on evolution soda, I was thinking that you use level ball to get 1-2 spritzee and evolution soda to get Aromatisse
  12. InfinityMinusOne

A good point on the Muscle Band front. Muscle Band does not in fact help Xerneas EX or Xerneas XY hit any magic numbers, and unless whatever other attacker that an individual might want to run also needs to hit magic numbers, I can't see the point of using it over something that adds consistency or more backbone to the deck.
  13. PellOfTheTundra

Oops, switched the two. Shauna is better if you're a speed deck, N is better if you're a setup deck.

And you COULD splash in those attackers, or you could ditch Xerneas (both or just EX altogether) and run a myriad of better attackers, from Landorus-EX, to Cobalion-EX, to even Thundurus-EX to regain lost Prism/Rainbow (you'd run enough to bench 2 for Raiden Knuckle, obviously).

Fairy is good.

Xerneas, in my humble opinion, is not.

Hard Charm saves you none against Rayboar, Black Kyurem, Yveltal, and Snorlax. The best tool is none. You need the consistency more, and Muscle band helps you exactly ZERO.
    InfinityMinusOne likes this.
  14. InfinityMinusOne

I was hoping that was the case. I thought I had been out of the format too long for a second :p.

If Evolution Soda allowed you to find a Pokemon and play it on something you just played down, it would be receiving a lot more hype than it has currently. You would have to Level Ball for the Spritzee, and wait for the next turn to evolve it, regardless of when you use the Soda and whether you use Soda or Level Ball. Think of Soda as a Professor Elm's Training Method as a non-Supporter.
  15. I was wrong in regards to Muscle Band. For some reason I thought Xerneas EX hit for 150. What do you suggest it's replaced with?
  16. InfinityMinusOne

I'd go for more Draw Support. After all, you currently only have 9, even if they're supplemented with 3 Skyla :p. Either that, or throw in a couple Catcher. You never know when they could come in handy.
  17. PellOfTheTundra

Drop em for draw. Here's the supporter line I suggest:

4 N
    4 Juniper
    2 Skyla
    2 Shauna
    2 Colress

You really want everything T2 so you can start attacking by T3 at the latest.
  18. I'd have to test it but I'd have more Skyla than Colress. If I want everything by turn 2 or 3, that's beginning of the game and will not be drawing that much off of Colress. It's great late game, but I think I'll stick with the elevated Skyla count for early game consistency.
  19. PellOfTheTundra

Then do the same line but -1 Colress +1 Skyla. The reason I did it that way is so you don't need to waste your first supporter on non-draw, and Colress will be putting in work with having 3+ on the bench at all times.
  20. InfinityMinusOne

Eh, I don't know about 3+ Skyla in a deck that isn't Item-centric. I only ran 4 in my list because I also included Beach, meaning that there isn't much danger for me if I get stuck with nothing but a Skyla T1. I'd cap out at 2 Skyla, but I guess that's personal preference :/.
    PellOfTheTundra likes this.