Tier 2 Yveltal

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by baby_mario, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Oh I forgot about reverse holo cards. That could actually be a legit problem with picky judges, or just top cut in general. Especially if one of them ends up in your prizes.

Thanks for answering my questions! I'll probably keep the draw line unchanged, but at the same time I think I might tamper with the item and energy lines a bit. (and maybe another Darkrai EX for those darn plasma decks :p)
  2. ddbargardi

ddbargardi Active Member

Well the list that jmoon showed is a little shaky. The first game I played with it I had a terrible start. I t was over quickly and I think I only took 2 prizes. And yes, starting with no supporter almost losses the game right there. The second game was better and if I would have had 2 more turns I would have won. The last game was the best. I got a godly start and 6'od my opponent.
  3. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

I don't like the implied criticism in the phrase 'picky judges'. Being able to tell what is in your Prizes is huge in Pokemon. Don't make it sound like the judges are being petty for actually trying to ensure a fair game.
  4. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

I didn't intend for the phrase "picky judges" to be used maliciously, in fact I applaud judges who question/penalize things like bent cards. I just called them "picky" (which in retrospect was probably the wrong word to use) because many judges seem to simply not care about bent cards, or don't have time to deal with it in Swiss when they have to monitor dozens (if not hundreds or even thousands) of people. Does that make it right or fair? Heck no, the only time you should be using an RH card that bends is if your entire deck was constructed out of them so you couldn't tell what your prizes are. The fact that this is even an issue could be attributed to TPCI and lazy printing.

But yeah, it was improper use of the word "picky" so I apologize for that. Hindsight is 20-20 I guess... :/
  5. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

Reverse holo cards do actually have a tendency to be slightly more bent then non-holo cards. But hey, they're shiny.
  6. jmoon

jmoon New Member

Cut one baby for the 7th dark. It runs the same supporter/random reciever and bike count that Michael Pramawat ran in his winning Dark Garb list....so the draw isn't the issue.
  7. baby_mario

I suspect that Pramawat ran Sableye, so he could Junk Hunt for Receiver/ACE SPEC if necessary.

Not sure it's a valid comparison.
  8. jmoon

jmoon New Member

Fair enough either way I feel like this is solid for draw power only thing I've been considering is cutting an energy switch for a Colress.
  9. flamedstones2

flamedstones2 New Member

this is my decklist

3 Yveltal
    1 Darkrai EX
    2 Yveltal EX
    2 Sableye
    2 Trubbish
    2 Garbodor

4 N
    4 Juniper
    4 Random Reciever
    4 Ultra Ball
    4 Dark Patch
    3 Laser
    4 Muscle Band
    3 Energy Switch
    2 Dark claw
    2 Virbank Gym
    2 Professors Letter
    1 Dowsing Machine

9 Darkness Energy
    2 Double Colorless

there are to many fairybox fairy/plasma plasma/lugia decks at my city ... so i was thinking in this change: - 2-3 laserbank - 1 dark claw + 3 shadow circle +3 enhanced hammer
    ok hammer means - damage from evil ball... but also lugia takes 3 prizes when i only 2
  10. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

You really don't need more than 2 Enhanced Hammer, mainly because you already have Sableye and Garbodor which will stop Lugia from taking an extra prize if they whiff on Tool Scrapper. I would also consider adding another Darkrai EX if Plasma is that popular as Thundurus EX will be everywhere and Shadow Circle wont always come through.

Also you might want to drop your dark claw for a couple Float Stone, it's a much better item for Garbodor and free retreat is always appreciated.
  11. WuBMaYNE

WuBMaYNE You Need More Minerals

Tell me what you guys think about this idea I have after messing around with Yveltal for a bit....

Pokémon - 10
    3x Yveltal
    3x Yveltal EX
    2x Trubbish
    2x Garbodor

Trainers - 37
    4x Sycamore
    3x N
    3x Shauna
    4x Random Receiver
    4x Ultra Ball
    4x Dark Patch
    4x Switch
    3x Shadow Circle
    3x Dark Claw
    3x Muscle Band
    1x Dowsing Machine
    1x Super Rod

Energy - 13
    10x Dark
    3x DCE
  12. Dark_Espeon

Dark_Espeon Darkness Trainer

Hi WuBMaYNE,

Nice list. Close to one of the versions I run at the moment. The other one still uses Laser-Bank for increased offense ability.

Here is the list that is close to the one you run:

Pokémon (11):
    2 Darkrai Ex (beatdown)
    3 Yveltal EX (beatdown)
    2 Yveltal (beatdown)

2 Garbodor (enable)
    2 Trubbish (evolve)

Trainers (36):
    4 Professor Sycamore (draw)
    3 Shauna (draw)
    2 Colress (draw)
    3 N (draw)
    1 Dowsing Machine (retrieval)
    1 Professor´s Letter (search)
    3 Random Receiver (search)

4 Dark Patch (acceleration)
    2 Escape Rope (disruption)
    4 Dark Claw (beatdown)
    3 Float Stone (enable)

3 Ultra Ball (search)
    3 Shadow Circle (weakness cover)

Energy (13):
    3 Double Colorless Energy
    10 Darkness Energy

In your version I would cut one Random Receiver for one Colress. Four switch also ssem like a little too much. I assume it is here to switch between both Yveltal and to recover from status effects. Consider to break even on switch and Escape Rope. Another alternative would be to run two switch cards and two additional tools such as Float Stone. The latter works nice with Yveltal non-Ex.

My version retained two Darkrai Ex as an alternate attacker versus Plasma. It also has one more tool to ensure the Garbotoxin lock can be out sooner and the deck has an easier time to replace removed tools fast. Darkrai also ensures that Garbotoxin lock removal also benefits Yveltal to a retain extend. In addition three Yveltal were too much for me since the deck wants to start with Yveltal Ex on usual.

Let me know how your version turned out and what you think about my version.
  13. ddbargardi

ddbargardi Active Member

Yveltal EX is like the worst thing to start with. You want to start with Yveltal or Sableye. Even of you start with Trubbish, it's not that hard to get a Float Stone to retreat it. Darkai EX isn't as bad either because you get free retreat for at least the next turn.
  14. WuBMaYNE

Starting with Yveltal EX is still better than starting with 95% of everything else. By no means am I worried if I open Yveltal EX against anyone.

Dark_Espeon that list is almost exactly what I was running before. The version I made is all about making sure there's never a dead card in your hand and you're constantly pumping quick damage out. I took out Darkrai EX because I'm really never really going to attack with him and I'm going to cut his ability off as quickly as possible. I decided on 4 Switch to maximize my odds of always having it when I need it. You could mess around with the Dark Claw, Muscle Band, Float Stone counts but I chose all offensive and bumped the Switch count. Having the 6 Bands almost guarantees I'm going to be doing an extra 20 almost every turn. I don't really care for the Colress that much because it's another card that can turn dead in the early game and with my build there shouldn't be more than 3 benched at a time. This is all theoretical and needs a lot of testing. But I think all versions of this would be super successful, I could easily splash Darkrai in no harm no foul.
  15. Dark_Espeon

Dark_Espeon Darkness Trainer

Hi Spartan,

Yveltal Ex is in fact the ideal starter. The deck does not need Sableye since it is real offensive. No time to waste a turn to Junk Hunt for items. Rather run more tools since those are the ones that will be hunted for in this list.

Hi WuBMaYNE,

Colress worked rather fine for me but a fourth Shauna or N would work too. Could be the manner in which I use the deck but I tend to need twelve draw supporters and two to three item draw cards in rush decks. It allows me to discard supporters when there is a need for a fresh hand.

Liked the offensive tools a lot. But would consider to break even on switch cards and Float Stones. Please let me know how the deck worked versus Plasma and other offensive decks with an electric attacker. Those where the reason to sometimes attack with Darkrai in addition to the benefit to switch attackers around when the lock is broken and reinstall it same turn.
  16. ddbargardi

ddbargardi Active Member

I'm a little confused if your going first your not going to be attacking anyways, but if you go second your just going to attach then pass? It seems like you could do more on your turn.
  17. WuBMaYNE

You're going to be able to attach 2 Energy's on your turn the majority of the time and maybe more. That's why we're maxing cards like Ultra Ball and our constant draw power to ensure Yveltal is doing 80+ on turn 2.
  18. ribboninthewind

ribboninthewind floating effortlessly

Here's my latest speed list that I plan on taking to States.

Pokémon 10
    3 Yveltal EX
    2 Darkrai EX
    3 Yveltal XY
    1 Absol
    1 Keldeo EX

T/S/S/ 36
    4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    2 Shauna
    2 Colress

3 Bicycle
    4 Ultra Ball
    4 Dark Patch
    3 Energy Switch
    3 Muscle Band
    2 Tool Scrapper
    1 Professor's Letter
    1 Dowsing Machine

3 Shadow Circle

Energy 14
    4 DCE
    10 Darkness
    themiraclemeat likes this.
  19. Otaku

Otaku Well-Known Member

Echoing the point to make it a little clearer:

Unless someone's running First Ticket or your luck is abnormal, you're going to go first approximately half the time... no issue opening with a Yveltal EX unless you're really concerned over it taking a first turn hit. Between cards that discard Darkness Energy (Ultra Ball and Professor Juniper), Dark Patch and Energy Switch that Active Yveltal EX has good odds of being ready to start swinging on your first turn when you are going second. While bad luck happens and sometimes your Yveltal EX might miss that T2 attack, if its a regular thing that means the deck needs tweaking (or your luck is truly bad).

Note: Edited due to bad info.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  20. baby_mario

@Otaku

First Ticket has no effect now that the flip happens before you draw your hand. It's basically a dead card.